Swelling Again 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty with Silicone Implant, is It Normal?

I'm now 3 weeks post rhinoplasty with L shape silicone implant.. Most of the swelling has subsided 15 days post ops.. But just 2 days ago, i felt more pain in the nasal bridge, and it started to swell again, not as much as before, but it swell again, on the edge of the forehead, and cheek.. my doctor said that everything's ok, he said that its normal to swell again within 2 months post surgery.. But i'm still worry... Is it normal to swell again after it subsided?

Additional swelling 3 weeks after rhinoplasty?

+1

Did you change anything in your routine that may have caused your swelling to increase? It is not abnormal to still have swelling at this point following your procedure. However, you should be evaluated as soon as possible to determine whether or not you have an infection, as you mention there is pain present. If there is an infection, your surgeon will need to address the issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty with an L strut silicone implant

+1

The main thing that I would be concerned about is an infection.  Especially if you are reporting increased redness and pain.  You need to be check by your surgeon.  The problem is that a silicone implant is a foreign body and once infection it will need to be removed.  It is also possible that at this point you need to be placed on additional antibiotics.  

L-Shaped Implants

+1

Hi,

L shaped silicone implants can become infected as any synthetic implant. Your swelling sounds suspicious of an infection. If the implant is infected it may need to be removed.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Recurrent Swelling After Synthetic Implant Rhinoplasty

+1

Anytime you have a synthetic material in a subcutaneous site, such as the nose, that has any recurrent swelling one should be suspicious of the risk of infection. While there is nothing that you need to do now, as long as the swelling has resolved, but aggressive use of antibiotics at the slightest hint of redness and swelling would be advised in the future. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Swelling and nasal implants

+1

Swelling during the first few weeks to months after a nasal implant is normal. Unless you suspect an infection it is probably normal.

Swelling after Silicone Implant

+1

If your doctor has examined you and has determined that there is no concern for infection, then swelling may be considered as a normal variant at this time.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA