Swelling After SMAS Facelift
- Asked by dahlia5 in nyc
- 3 years ago
Had smas lift and jowls are still swollen after 4 weeks post up. Also had fat injections. This is the second one - had a mid face lift 2 years ago.
How long does swelling usually last after a SMAS facelift?
Jowls after face lift
Something doesn't sound right to me. You should not have jowls after a face lift. I think a trip back to your doctor with a frank discussion is in order.
Expect more swelling when fat injections and a facelift are done together
At 4 weeks out you are still early in the healing phase. While the majority of swelling from a SMAS facelift is gone by 2 weeks additional swelling can persist for up to 6 months.
The addition of fat injections to a facelift procedure will only increase the swelling. This is one reason why I do the fat injections in stages - makes for less swelling and helps the fat survive better.
You also had a history of previous surgery and this will result in more swelling as well due to the old scar tissue and changes in lymphatic drainage.
Hang in there, with more time you will start to see nice improvements!
Swelling Varies following SMAS Facelift
Swelling and Numbness Normal after SMAS Facelift
The symptoms of swelling and numbness are not only normal but expected after the first several weeks following a facelift of any sort including a SMAS lift. Most resolves in 2-3 weeks but several weeks are necessary for the rest to go away. It makes sense that structures lower on the face (jowls, upper neck) may have longer swelling than areas higher such as the upper cheek.
Patients should expect swelling, discoloration, and bruising of the skin for several weeks following a SMAS face lift.
Recent SMAS Facelift Reviews
SMAS Facelift Photos
Swelling Following SMAS Facelift
Four weeks following a facelift is a pretty short amount of time. Most of the swelling should be gone by about six weeks after the surgery, but it may last for several months. You may find that the swelling will persist even longer in the areas that were treated with fat grafting.
Swelling after SMAS face lift
This is not uncommon after 4 weeks. At this point you likely have around 50% of your healing. We usually tell people that they will have 60% of their healing / recovery complete by 6 weeks, 80-90% by 6 months. 100% can take as long as 2 years. This is based on wound healing studies and tensile breaking strength of a heal wound. The fat injections could take up to 2-3 months to really start looking good. And it can keep improving for another year.
I tell most of my patients that you loose 80% of your swelling by 6 weeks after surgery. The remaining 20% may take several more months to resolve. You can expect your final results to be anywhere from 6-12 months after the initial surgery.
You mentioned that you are 4 weeks post facelift and fat grafting. 4 weeks is just a short time after the procedure. It may take months for all the swelling to go away.
Fat grafting is probably the culprit for your extended facial swelling
Given your history of having had a midface lift, previously, I imagine that your face lift was intended to improve the appearance of your lower face (jowls, jaw and neck). Occasionally, I will recommend structural fat grafting to the cheek hollows, but this technique can prolong the period of post-op swelling. The fat graft survives by absorbing nutrients from the surrounding tissues and can expand significantly in volume and firmness, as a consequence. The net effect may appear to you like a worsening of your jowls. I am confident that the fullness will diminish with time.
Swelling after a SMAS face lift may take several months to go down.
This is especially true if fat is injected at the same time. It depends on the patient's tissue as well as the surgeon. Discuss this with your surgeon as he knows what he did during surgery.
Mini face lift swelling
Swelling varies from individual to another, and depend on how much was done, as well as many other factors.
The fat injection also contribute to the prolonged swelling. You will have to wait it out. 6-12 weeks. Then you can evaluate the result.
Meanwhile, elevate the head, low salt diet will help.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.