Why Do Some Surgeons Consult Personally Via Email Phone & Others Don't?

I know of a surgeon that has a great reputation, many many before & after pics in person, & still takes the time to deal w/ potential patients who are out of town personally via email or phone. He's not cheap & from what I've heard and seen, is worth it. Obviously, an in person consult is crucial but why do some surgeons direct potential out of town patients to a coordinator and refuse to converse via email or phone. I don't think it's a good sign even for the best surgeons. What do you think?

Different Styles for Consultations?

+4

I personally prefer to do ALL  consultations (local or long distance) in person.  I do not think I would be able to trust a “coordinator” to provide patients with advice.  I think that by doing so I would be exposing my practice to the potential for more mistakes than otherwise. As a matter of fact, sometimes I don't know which operation will work best for a specific patient until I meet them in person.

Also, I use the “long-distance consultation” ( whether e-mail or phone)  to get  to know patients better and determine if they are planning on  doing the planned operation for the “right reasons”…Patient motivation, personality,  and ability to understand the concept of realistic expectations  are important considerations in determining whether a specific patient will be a “good fit” with our practice.

Thank you again for the good question.

Consultations

+2

I do not know why some  doctors answer all the emails( perhaps) or refer it to a coordinator.  Different practices operate differently.