Do Surgeons Usually Charge for Chin Implant Removal?

I 100% just don't like my chin implant. I thought about this carefully. It might make my profile look better but I do not like the frontal view, plain and simple. It's my life. Do surgeons usually charge for removal if nothing is wrong? I want it out sooner than later. How soon is too soon? Are there exceptions to the usual wait time? I'm leaving the country at 8 weeks post-op so it needs to be out before then.

Removal of chin implant

+1

Removal of a chin implant can often times be done under local aneshesia and the fee is dependent upon your surgeon. You may want to wait a bit longer to know for sure if you really want the implant removed. Ask your surgeon if there is a facility fee or anesthesia fee involved. You always have the right to have any implant removed, just be sure this is the right thing for you.

If you have another surgeon remove it, there will likely be a small fee involved.

Dr.Bruno

Removal of your chin implant should be a relatively small expense for you.

+1

I read your concern. It sounds like you're less than 2 mos. post-op and you're dissatisfied by the appearance of your chin implant.  You're certainly still somewhat swollen, and it may be to your advantage to leave it in for a few months before having it removed.

I have had a few of my own patients that wanted their chin implants removed even though I felt they looked acceptable. In these patients, I did the removal at no charge. The patients had a small anesthesiology / facility fee for the 30 minute procedure. If you have a silicone implant, that is the easiest to remove.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who pays for a questionably necessary surgical revision? It depends!

+1

I am sorry you are not happy with your new chin implant.  Certainly, the final cosmetic results of your recent surgery are not yet known.  It is not reasonable to ask your surgeon to bear all of the costs of your change of heart.  Nevertheless, your surgeon would likely wish to make you happy and may be willing to work with you.  I suggest that you approach the doctor and ask if he would be willing to do this for you without additional professional fees if you offer to pay all of the fixed costs of having an additional surgery.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

You are responsible for the entire cost of the surgery or any subsequent surgery for any reason.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now she wants chin implant out--who pays?

+1

I am sorry you don't like your new appearance. Since you're leaving the country at 8 weeks post-op, it is safe to assume you are at a point of time less than that right now, meaning you DO still have swelling that will go down and that you are assessing an appearance that is not yet "final."

I assume pre-operatively you thought about having a chin implant carefully, so anybody hearing that you now want it out after thinking about it "carefully" would naturally be a bit skeptical. Asking your surgeon to do a "free" removal means you would be asking him or her to bear the financial cost (the OR, anesthesia, tools, medicines, and everybody's time still have a true "cost") for your inability to decide what you really want.

In other words, unless your surgeon "talked you into" a chin implant and/or gave the surgery to you for "free," you presumably wanted and paid for a chin implant. Of course, nobody knew exactly how things would look until the work was done and everything healed (and you're not at that point yet just a few weeks after surgery). But my point is, should your surgeon believe you now? Or should he have simply refused to do what you asked and paid for in the first place, saving everybody the time and cost of a two operations for the price of one?

Bottom line, some of us would not charge for a local anesthesia implant removal, but that would be a true gift that you have no right to ask for. Most of us would charge for OR, anesthesia, and supplies, but not charge a surgeon's fee--in essence giving our time aways for free (when we could be using the time to earn an honest wage from a "paying" patient). Some might charge for a second surgery that is entirely your choice, as nothing was done wrong or different from what you asked for initially. Ultimately, most of us want to be treated fairly and not have an dissatisfied patient spreading bad "word of mouth" about us!

The sooner the better, because your tissues may stretch and sag after implant removal. BTW, who pays for replacing the implant if you find out that you look even worse now that the implant is out and you like the resultant "look" even less. It is not a guarantee that you will return to you pre-chin implant appearance!

Only you and your surgeon know where the reality lies, and you have to decide what it is you really want and if you are ready to pay for that. Perhaps waiting is not such a bad idea after all?

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon