Not Sure if I Am Supposed to Get Arm Lipo or an Arm Lift? Pictures Included.

I am 30 yrs old,124 pds/size 2-4 but my arms seem super flabby and out of proportion with my body. I was obese when I was a child and ever since it seems I have carried excess weight on my arms. I was a size 6-8 until a few months ago and thought that was the problem but now I am starting to believe it is excess skin. I am making an appointment for an augmentation after I have a baby (I am not yet pregnant) and wanted to fix this problem as well but was curious which procedure is needed? Thanks!

Arm Contour Brachioplasty vs Liposuction

+2

Hi, thanks for your post and your pictures.  By looking at your pictures the only conclusion that I can come up with is that I absolutely would not give you advice based on this.

You have 3 surgical options:

1.  Liposuction

2. Liposuction with axillary dome excision

3. Brachioplasty +/- liposuction

Lets go step by step with pros and cons risks and benefits

Unique Risk #1 Lymphedema:  Any time you operate on an extremity, particularly about the axilla you have a risk of permanent swelling of the arm.

#2 Asymmetry one arm will be slightly different in size than the other.

This applies for any of the three procedures above

1.  liposuction benefit:  less scarring 5mm incisions vs a great big one, easier recovery.  con:  addresses fatty component alone and relies on contracture of the skin to establish overall contour

2.  Liposuction with axillary dome excision same as # 1 with addition of a crescent of skin removed in the armpit which is easily concealed by not wearing sleeveless clothing (all kidding aside, this generally heals well)  This operation benefits a very small percentage of arm contouring patients

3.  Brachioplasty:  tried and trued, very reliable reduction in circumference, very variable scar formation.  difficult to hide incisions, can get neuromas and prolonged pain if a very aggressive resection undertaken.

Your recommendation:

I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with liposuction AND brachioplasty.  I cannot tell what the quality of skin you have about your arm as well as the amount of fat over the biceps and deltoids.  Given your age, height, and weight, I would lean towards a circumferential liposuction procedure to give your skin a chance to contract and get the look that you would like.  Should you be displeased with loose hanging skin, a brachioplasty can always be performed.  If you have good skin tone, I would proceed in this fashion in order to save you the scar.  For background information, I operate on many massive weight loss patients, and I find that a brachioplasty is invaluable, however, given your size, you really don't want that scar if there is a chance that you can do without it.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Your Pictures Suggest You'd Benefit From a Brachioplasty

+1
                   It’s not unusual for patients who have undergone massive weight loss to develop loose saggy upper arm skin. When this occurs treatment varies from patient to patient and depends on a variety of factors. Under these circumstances the vast majority of patients require brachioplasty to correct their problem.

Your pictures suggest that you would benefit from brachioplasty, but without a physical examination it’s hard to make a recommendation. In patients with good skin tone, liposuction might also represent a treatment option, but this is unusual in massive weight loss patients.

Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to guide you in the right direction. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty (arm lift)

+1

You have excess skin laxity of the arms.  Removing and tightening the excess skin will require a brachioplasty (arm lift).  Liposuction will address the loose skin.  A mini arm lift is designed for people with just a small amount of extra skin near the arm pit.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Need an exam to know for certain

+1

There are many causes for flabby arms. Incisions can be very small or large depending on location of fat. If one has flabby arms, the best indicator of the treatment would be the elasticity of the skin.  If the skin has good elasticity, then Liposuction alone may be the answer.  If not, then an arm lift to resect the excess skin is best.  However, the best indication for an arm lift, and the most gratifying are those who have lost a lot of weight.  The skin is usually flabby and overstretched.  It is simple and effective to remove the skin that has been stretched past its capacity.  No Liposuction, or other noninvasive modalitiy will help the skin become more firm around the arms.  The length and type of the incision will vary depending upon the location and the amount of fat in the arms.  The cost will also vary by geographic locale.  Most will run anywhere from $3500-$7000.  I would advise you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have treatment recommendations specific to your concerns.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Undergo a brachioplasty to achieve the results you want

+1
Dear Kristy:

Based on your pictures, I would suggest liposuction and an arm lift to be performed at the same time.  You have excess skin and fat that goes down to the elbow and I do not think that liposuction alone would give you arms that you would be proud of.  I would therefore suggest you undergo a brachioplasty.

Thank you,
J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Arm lift and upper arm liposuction are very different operations..

+1

Arm lift surgery and arm liposuction are very different surgeries and are performed for different reasons. Arm liposuction can be done if you have arm skin with good elasticity so that after your fat is removed your skin will shrink around your remaining tissues. If you have poor elasticity then your skin will hang more after fat is removed. Your pictures are definitely not conclusive. You will need to be examined by a Board certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in body contouring surgeries. In the meantime keep your biceps, triceps and deltoid muscles toned.

Laurie Casas, MD

Arm lift

+1
Thank you for the picture. It appears that you have loose skin and liposuction would worsen your sagging. An arm lift would be the correct procedure and you have to weigh result against the scarring. This is a personal choice. If you are planning children, the weigh gain and loss from pregnancy could affect the arms so you may want to consider deferring this surgery until afterwards.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Arm lift vs. arm lipo

+1

Based on the photos, the best solution is an arm lift procedure.  Liposuction could make the problem worse by creating more loose skin.  Please seek consultation by a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and look at pictures so that you are comfortable with the location and the visibility of the scar!

Good luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lipo vs. Arm Lift

+1

Improving arm contours and aesthetics is a common concern of patients.  Often there is a question of whether liposuction or brachioplasty (arm lift) will be the best choice.  Of course, the best way to determine the procedure that will provide the result you are hoping to achieve is through a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  With the world wide web, patients are now frequently seeking opinions and consultations from surgeons from different areas of the country and are often willing to travel to seek out care, therefore plastic surgeons are often asked to give opinions based on history and photographs, and certainly this is done frequently on this site.  From your information and photos, I would say that an arm lift (which I often combine with simultaneous liposuction) will be the procedure that will achieve the best result.  Unless there is very good skin tone and excess fat is the sole problem in the arm, lipo is often not the best procedure for this particular area.  Arm lifts often require an extended length of scar and like all procedures, the healing is largely dependent on the patient's natural healing ability.  The incision is placed in an area of the arm that is least notable and is typically well tolerated by the patient as a trade-off for a significant improvement in arm contour.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Arm lift or liposuction?

+1

Obviously, a photo is not a great substitute for a consultation in person, however, judging by your pictures, I would suggest that you are a better candidate for an arm lift procedure.  Liposuction, even with newer techniques such as SmartLipo or SlimLipo, is somewhat limited in tightening the skin.  If you have a lot of loose hanging skin and you do liposuction alone then you will just end up with more loose hanging skin.  An arm lift results in a scar that runs from armpit to elbow, but would probably give you the best answer to your loose arm skin.  The question you have to ask is this:  Would you rather have loose hanging skin or a scar?

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD