Kenalog Injections Possible for Gynecomastia?

I'm a skinny with very mild gynecomastia. Can over-injecting Kenalog injections help cause it to atrophy a little--and thereby avoid traumatic surgery? Or does it not affect the gland tissue at all?

Kenalog Injections Not a Good Technique for Gynecomastia

+2

Kenalog injections would be a bad choice as a technique for Gynecomastia Reduction because it is so imprecise and may not be very effective against the dense breast tissue.

The steroid injection may cause uneven, even disfiguring fat and dermal atrophy (thinning of the skin).

I can understand your wanting to take a novel and non-invasive approach, but Kenalog injections for Gynecomastia Reduction is inadvisable and likely to cause a lot of problems with cosmetic deformity.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Terrible idea.

+2

Thanks for the question -

"Over-injecting" any medication is dangerous.
Steroids can cause tissue atrophy as you've noted but it can cause atrophy to skin and is somewhat unpredictable.

At best you'd get uneven lumpy results, at worse, open wounds, infection and tissue necrosis. Large doses of steroids can also cause systemic problems as well.

Determine the cause of your gynecomastia (usually idiopathic) and consider ultrasonic assisted liposuction as a treatment from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Steroid Injections Will Not Manage Gynecomastia

+1

Although steroid injections are very effective in treating adverse scarring, they have no place in the management of gynecomastia. These injections would have a minimal impact on breast tissue, while having a significant potential for complications. Steroid injections might result in atrophy of the underlying fat, but this would be unpredictable. In addition, kenalog injections might result in skin atrophy, hypopigmentation and significant contour irregularities.

If you’re concerned about gynecomastia, surgical intervention is still the best option. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be an appropriate next step. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely not

+1
Steroid injection are not the treatment for Gynecomastia and will cause problems. Steroid injections are used the reduce scarring in the incision and occasionally after surgery for deeper scarring.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Kenalog is for scar treatment, not for gynecomastia

+1
Kenalog injections are used to reduce hypertrophic post-operate scarring but are not used as a treatment modality for gynecomastia. Surgical treatment of gynecomastia involves either resection of breast tissue or liposuction, or sometimes both. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who can better explain the options which would be applicable to your individual case.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Male breast reduction works.

+1

Hi.

That's not a good idea .If gynecomastia bothers you, you need formal surgical correction by a plastic surgeon.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Not recommended.

+1

Steroid injections are not a great idea here. The risk exceeds the potential benefit. I would see a good plastic surgeon of two to have the area properly evaluated to get your options explained.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Proper Treatment for Gynecomastia

+1

Steroid injections are not appropriate for gynecomastia.  Non surgical treatment is only recommended if a known medical issue has caused the gynecomastia.  If there is no identifiable cause then a combination of removal of the glandular tissue and liposuction produce consistent results.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Kenalog for gynecomastia

+1

Interesting concept, but there is no way I would ever use kenalog to treat benign enlargement of the male breast.  I would only use it to treat a hypertrophic or keloid scar.  It can cause permanent purple discoloration of the skin, telangiectasias (little red blood vessels in the skin), and thinning of the skin as well as the underlying tissue.  It's also unpredictable, so it couldn't be reliably used to atrophy any specific breast tissue. 

Surgery for gynecomastia (liposuction or excision) is your best option.

Carmen Kavali, MD