Sunburn After Rhinoplasty!

Hi, i had rhino/septoplasty 35 days ago. I had a bone shaved and fixed a hangling columella. I went to the beach yesterday and tanned for about an hour and a half under the sun. I was planning to have a small tan but i felt asleep without putting any protection. Now my face is totally red including my nose. Is it possible that i have done any damage to my nose? Any permanent dark areas? Im very worried. Thank you for your time.

Sun and Rhinoplasty

+1
It is possible to cause discoloration to the skin after a burn.  You are much more susceptible right after rhinoplasty.  In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Stay away from the sun after rhinoplasty

+1

Although you have experienced a significant amount of sun exposure, you should not have done any long-term damage to your eventual rhinoplasty result. However, your nasal skin is a lot more sensitive at this time period and the sun exposure may set back your healing timeline a bit. 

michael kim, md

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon