Can I Sunbathe 2 Weeks Post-rhinoplasty if I Completely Cover my Nose with a Towel?

Good Evening, I am aware of the fact that the sun should be avoided at least 3 months after a Rhinoasty, although because of the surgery and other factors including my natural skin tone, I really look too pale. I really enjoy the sun and sunbathing at the beach, but I know it will take a while for that.Though, I was wondering if I could take any direct sunlight after having heavily covered my nose with a towel or other materials in order to remove some paleness and get some colour back.Thank You

Sun exposure after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, you will want to avoid sun exposure for 6 months following rhinoplasty. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as they may have specific guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Sunbathe With Towel - OK

+1

You should be able to sunbathe with a towel over your nose as long as it is completely covered. Sunblock is of utmost importance.  If it is not completely covered, it may affect the healing of your scars if an "open approach" with an incision at the bottom of the nose is used.

Carlo Honrado, MD

Sunbathing after rhinoplasty

+1

I would not suggest sunbathing after surgery without a good layer of sunscreen and other protection i.e. a hat etc. If you have an open rhinoplasty you do not want any sun exposure on the incision. Sunbathing and excessive heat also causes the tissues to swell which will slow down your healing process and recovery. I would suggest a natural bronzer for now until you are fully healed. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and sun block

+1

I think that placing sunblock on the nose or even better avoiding excessive sun exposure is important.

Avoid sun exposure after rhinoplasty

+1

The reasons for preventing direct sunlight are that sun exposure can affect the incisions (if this was an open rhinoplasty) and how they heal and can also cause more swelling in a recently traumatized nose. That can lead to poor healing. Even though covering with a towel prevents some sun exposure, UV light is still able to penetrate. There are inexpensive 90%+ UV protection headwear options. Check out Buffwear. I recommend these for my post-op patients after chemical peels or laser resurfacing.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

+1

If the nose is completely covered, sunlight is essentially not contacting the skin of the nose.   This probably would not have negative effect.  However, you should always ask your surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA