What Style Spanx Should I Buy After a Full Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift?

Post Surgical Garments For Abdominoplasty and Breast Surgery

+3

For the first few weeks following a tummy tuck and breast lift a good supportive garment reduces bruising and swelling and reduces discomfort.  There are a variety of companies that manufacture these specialty items and will even custom build them for unusual sizes or combinations of procedures.  I like my patients to use Spanx or other garments of less compression around week three.  Many people like this support for several months afterwards. The garments should cover the surgical areas and leave no constricting bands that might create a permanent crease.

Surgical garments after tummy tuck

+2

If you are in the immediate post-op period, this is an excellent question for your plastic surgeon. I individualize each patient, and decide during their recovery period which patients will benefit from wearing  a post-surgical compression garment.  

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

The Spanx Higher Power after tummy tuck

+2

We like to transition into the Spanx Higher Power after tummy tuck as it will cover and support the full abdomen. You can find them on-line and it is good to go slightly smaller than you would normally wear.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tuck Garments

+1
Not all compression garments are created equal. As with surgeons and surgery centers, you tend to get what you pay for. In my practice we provide the compression garments for abdominoplasty patients (there is no added fee for compression garments), and we have tried out almost every major company’s garments. We have been happiest with Marena’s compression garments as the fabric is very soft, elastic and comfortable yet durable. They are also the most aesthetically pleasing garments we have used. If modified with scissors the fabric does not ‘run’ or split.
If the garments are not pleasant to wear then patients will inevitably discontinue their use earlier than would be ideal. Some practices ask patients to purchase their own garments (I’ve even heard of patients being sent to Wal-Mart for this), which is leaving an important part of the postop care regimen in inexperienced hands. If a practice advises you to purchase your own compression garment, they are probably more interested in controlling costs than your postoperative comfort.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Garment to wear after Tummy Tuck

+1

Most surgeons have their own preference as to what to wear after surgery.  I provide my patients with an abdominal binder (that they will wear for 4 weeks after surgery) and then after that period of time, I have garments that are more comfortable but give extra support (such as Spanx).  I have some links on my website of garments. I am sure you can find them online or in stores.

Garment to wear after a tummy tuck

+1

Each surgeon has their own preferences. I have my patients wear a more substantially supportive (but not TOO tight) garment for a few weeks after a tummy tuck...the same type of garment a patient wears after liposuction.  After a few weeks, I tell my patients that they are no longer required to wear support, but that they may find it helpful to "step down" to a lighter weight and more comfortable Spanx-type garment for an additional period of mild support and to control the chronic swelling that can occur for another few weeks.  How long to wear that lighter garment I leave up to them...when they feel that it is no longer beneficial in providing comfort or controlling the mild swelling, then they stop wearing it.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Type of garment to wear after mommy makeover

+1

I generally don't have my patients wear Spanx after mommy makeover, as I prefer a garment that provides even more compression. I generally have my patients wear an abdominal binder, which can be made progressively tighter as your swelling subsides, as well as either a surgical bra or a sports bra.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD