4 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck My Pubic Area Is More Swollen Than Before. Is This Normal?

2 weeks ago my pubic area is more swollen than before. Is it normal?

Pubic Swelling Normal After Tummy Tuck

+4

It is not at all unusual to have edema or swelling in the pubic area for a few weeks following a tummy tuck.  Sometimes this is simply due to gravity when normal swelling in the lower abdomen migrates inferiorly.  On other occasions, the tissue in the suprapubic area is thinned out somewhat, especially if the pubic area is quite full.  In this latter case the swelling will typically last even longer and may well be accompaied by significant ecchymosis or bruising.  As always you should inform your surgeon of your concerns to make certain there is not a more serious explanation.

Tummy Tuck - 4 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck My Pubic Area Is More Swollen Than Before. Is This Normal?

+3

At this relatively early stage it's not necessarily a cause for concern.

As always, it is difficult to assess this without seeing what you looked like before and knowing exactly what surgery was done - surgical excision, lipo of surrounding areas including the mons, etc.  If nothing was done to the area and it was a little full before, then the excessive swelling is completely to be expected.  And it can take a while for everything to settle down - several weeks for most of it, several months for all of it.

If, however, at several months that area is still relatively fuller, then you may want to touch base with your PS to see what, if anything, can be done.  If lipo of the mons was not done as part of the TT you could consider having it done as an additional procedure; if it was done and there is still some fat, you may want to have a bit more taken out.

Regardless of the approach, you should contact your PS and discuss this with him or her to make sure that the two of you remain on the same page.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Swelling in the Pubic Area after Surgery

+3

Swelling in this area is common.  With time, swelling will travel down (from the abdominal area to the pubic area) so it become more swollen before it starts getting better.  The swelling can take months to go away.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon during the recovery process.

You are correct in that  for many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery the pubic area may be an area of concern. This area may be large ( prominent) , ptotic (low), or deflated.  Therefore, I think it is important to address the pubic area when performing the tummy tuck surgery.
When planning the tummy tuck incision it is possible to keep the incision  low enough that it serves to “raise” the pubic area to some degree.  I like to plan this incision when patients are wearing the “cut” of swimming suit that they plan to wear after the surgery.
During the  tummy talk procedure the pubic area may then be “lifted” and/or defatted ( either directly or with liposuction) as  the specific patient's needs indicate.  Care is taken to avoid over thinning  the area since some coverage of the pubic area is important (for example for padding during intercourse).
Drains are often brought out through hair bearing areas.
You are very correct in that if the pubic area is not treated during the tummy tuck procedure it may be a source of  dissatisfaction afterwards. Revisionary surgery may be necessary to treat the area.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

+3

This could be very normal but also a seroma/hematoma collection. Best to see your surgeon ASAP.I recommend massage or external ultrasound if swelling. Aspiration if fluids. 

Swollen Pubic Area after Tummy Tuck

+3

Swelling of the pubic area can last several months after having an abdominoplasty.  However, sometimes the pubic region can appear bigger relative to the abdomen after a tummy tuck because all the excess skin above it was removed and now you can see the pubic area better than before.  That is why many surgeon will choose to do some liposuction or lift the pubic area as part of or in addition to the tummy tuck.  If this wasn't done, it can give the appearance of a permanently swollen mons pubis when actually it is the same size as it was before but it wasn't as obvious because your abdomen used to cover it up.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you what exactly was done in surgery and if this is something that is likely to subside with time or not.

Web reference: http://www.drhamawy.com/body/tummy-tuck-westchester-ny/

Swollen pubic area after liposuction

+3

Edema or swelling in the pubic area is quite common at four weeks post tummy tuck surgery. It may be more evident if liposuction has been performed to contour the region. This may take a number of months to fully resolve.

Web reference: http://www.bodycontouringinphiladelphia/faq.html

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pubic swelling after tummy tuck

+3

It may just be edema, or swelling, or, you may have a seroma or fluid collection as your drains probably came out recently.  You should see your surgeon to be sure.    

Swelling after a Tummy Tuck

+3

The tummy tuck incision is located in close proximity with the lymphatic channels that help to drain excess fluid from the skin and subcutaneous tissues. If these vessels are injured then swelling may persist for a longer time, or until the channels heal and reconnect. Even if the lymphatic vessels are not injured, the general swelling in this area and the fact that is a dependent area can lead to more prolonged swelling while healing takes place. In the absence of signs of infection such as redness, increasing pain and tenderness, or the signs of a seroma( a collection of serum under the skin) you can expect the swelling to gradually resolve. You're probably more active now as well and that can sometimes cause a transient increase in swelling. Best of Luck - Dr Harrell

Several weeks of swelling in the pubic region is common after abdominoplasty

+2

Swelling in the tissues in the vicinity of any operation is common.  The pubic region commonly becomes swollen after a tummy tuck and may stay that way for weeks.  Compression garments may help this along.

Pubic Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+2

Swelling in the pubic region after tummy tuck surgery is not uncommon. It can due to liposuction being performed in which cases it may take a few months to resolve. This area also has numerous lymphatic channels and swelling can persist for several months. Fluid collection or seroma is another possibility which can usually be treated by simple aspiration in your plastic surgeons office. Have your surgeon examine you to determine the most likely cause.