Stitches on Face?

Hi, I had a bicycle accident 4 days ago and needed four stitches on my upper forehead and chin. The doctor at the hospital said to get the dressings changed a few times at any clinic and return to the hospital or any suitable clinic in 5 days to have them removed. I ended up damaging a ligament in my index finger from the fall and the orthopedic specialist I met advised me it would be a minimum of ten days to remove the stitches. Who should I believe? I'm worried about scarring.

Suture Removal

+2

Suture removal times vary amongst different locations and different types of suture used.  Generally sutures on the face are left in place for only 5-7 days (give or take) while sutures on the body are left in for a longer period of time.  Please consult with your specialists / surgeons who placed the sutures.

Stitches on Face?

+2

Facial stitches are usually removed at 5-7 days. However, every injury and every surgeon are different. If you can make an appointment with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area they can assess your facial injury and determine how best to proceed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial stitches and when to remove them

+2

I perform Mohs and Reconstructive Surgery on skin cancer patients and I remove my stitches in 5-7 days.  Every surgeon has a different opinion but I would go with the one who put your stitches in. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Stitches on face

+2

Generally, stitches on the face are left in for 5-7 days, but this can vary with the type of suture used and the wound.  Stitches on the body are generally left in for a longer period of time.  I would follow the advice of the doctor who put your facial sutures in and have them removed in 5 days.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal and scar revision in Los Angeles

+1

Suture removal is different on different types of wounds.  I would focus on the advice of the treating surgeon and then refocus on maximizing the quality of the scar with laser thereafter. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS