Breast Reduction Pre-op Appointment?

I'm about to go in for a breast reduction pre-op. What kinds of things do they test your blood for? What should I make sure I go over with my PS?

Breast Reduction Pre-Operative Lab Work and Consultation

+4

The blood work that is required for any general anesthesia is as follows (please realize this could slightly differ depending on age, location, and any previous underlying issues

CBC-will test your basic blood counts, RBC, WBC, Platelets-this will rule out any infection, anemia that needs to be treated prior to surgery

PT/PTT-blood clotting times

UA-to rule out any urinary tract infections, or possible underlying issues pertaining to the kidneys

BMP-Basic metabolic panel

Medical Clearance-does a basic history and physical and clears the individual for surgery (this is not always required)

UPT-urine pregnancy test

EKG-is generally required for individuals over the age of 55 undergoing general anesthesia

Some questions to go over with your PS prior to surgery may include but are not limited to:

1. When will I be following up with your office? It is generally easier to set up the initial follow up appointment prior to surgery.

2. If the surgery is in a surgery center, what lab will you be sending my specimies to, and can I recieve a copy of the final pathology report when it becomes available? This is good to keep for your records, as it will rule out any abnormal findings from the tissue that was removed.

3. Will I have drains? If so, and you do not have the help at home to monitor them, can I be set up with a home health nurse to do daily drain care?

4. Is there anything that I need to get and have available at home (i.e. gauze, ace bandage, additional front zipping sports bras)?

5. Is this procedure in patient or out patient (if done in a hospital setting) and how long will I be in the hospita?

6. What medications will I be taking post-operatively (i.e. antibiotic, pain medication, muscle relaxors)? Make sure that you get these perscriptions filled prior to surgery

7. Approximately how many grams will be removed from each side (insurance based procedures generally will dictate the minimum amount, in grams, that must be removed in order for them to cover the procedure)?

8. What are my financial responsibilities? Will I be responsible for anything additional after surgery? Can a portion of my procedure be covered through insurance?

Questions/ research to do pertainint to your doctor:

1. Is he/she board certified with the ABPS also knows as the American Board of Plastic Surgery? (This information can be found directly on the Board's website)

*This is not to be confused with ASPS also known as the American Society of Plastic Surgery. This is a society that plastic surgeons can become members of, but does not necessarily signify they are board certified plastic surgeons.

2. How many years has he/she been in practice?

3. Can I see pre and post operative pictures of similar procedures?

Please remember to have realistic expectations as not everyone will have the same results. Good luck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Breast Reduction Preoperative Visit?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.

You will find, that depending on the practice, your age, medical conditions, that the preoperative workup ( bloodwork, tests…) will vary.  Generally speaking, for a healthy young female the “necessary” blood work can be minimized.  A pregnancy test may be indicated.

It will be very important for you to communicate your goals, concerns, and questions with your plastic surgeon. I would suggest that you write these down before your preoperative appointment. In my practice, I ask patients to collect "goal  pictures”  of breasts which they like, breasts that are too big, and breasts that are too small as well.  I find that the use of pictures is more helpful than the words “natural” or "proportionate” etc., which can mean different things to different people.

Again, your preoperative visit is a time to address any concerns that may cause you preoperative anxiety. Sometimes, I find it helpful to arrange for preoperative patients to speak with postoperative patients as well.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of your planned procedure.

Before breast reduction, make sure your surgeon understands what size you want to be.

+2

Hi.

Talking about cup sizes is not enough.  Bring to your surgeon pictures of breasts that you like and that you think would fit well on your body.  Poor communication about this can lead to disappointment.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction preop testing

+2

Dr Chahin has described the PAT regimen very well.  PAT is required in all the facilities in which I practice for cases involving sedation.  The hospitals mandate it, as well as EKG and medical clearance.  This is completely appropriate given the length of the procedure.  In terms of the preop consult, this is a time for the surgeon to go over the operation once more, discuss postop instructions and to insure a meeting of the minds with respect to sizing.  Management of drains postoperatively, pain management, timing of the postop visit,and  what to look for in terms of problems which require the surgeon's immediate attention are also discussed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction pre-op appointment

+2

Actually lab tests are not needed for most unless there is a specific medical issue, or you are over age 50. We see patients one to two days before for markings and questions about care after the procedure.

Pre-op Appointment For Breast Reduction

+1

I see all of my reduction patients on the day of or 1-2 days prior to surgery.  At this visit I mark the areas of the incisions and answer any questions patients may have.  I also go over post-op care.  I have the anesthesiologist order pre-op tests since they will order only those that they feel are necessary.

John Whitt, MD