Stitches Came off 2 Days After Blepharoplasty

I had Blepharoplasty 4 days ago, and my stitches came out on the second day. Is that bad? Everything looks sealed tight, but I wanted to make sure nothing is wrong.

You should be fine

+2

It is important for you to let your surgeon know that the sutures came out. However, if everything looks okay, then you should be fine. We often take our sutures out after three days for blepharoplasty patients anyway - so, I would not be worried. Enjoy your new eyes!

David Shafer, MD
Manhattan

Early stitch removal usually good

+2

Some surgeons don't use stitches but use a topical glue. Some have stitches under the skin holding tissues in place. But usually stitches placed through the skin that need to be removed are best removed earlier rather than later especially if there is little intrinsic tension on the wound that should be the case in most blepharoplasty surgeries. The body forms its own "glue" that keeps "tensionless" incisions closed and the longer you leave stitches in the skin, the more like you are to have the "railroad track" type of stitch markings. I often take stitches out by day 1-3. Bottom line is, if it hasn't fallen apart by now, don't worry, you have the best of both worlds: adequate healing and miminal stitch marks.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Bleph suture techniques

+2

Thanks for the question. As always these are great questions to ask your surgeon. There is no one who will understand more about the details of the procedure you received than the surgeon who did it.

Timing of suture removal can be important in terms of healing and minimizing scar formation. In my San Francisco area practice I use a combination of a "running subcuticular" suture that tends to minimize scarring instead of the more familiar "running stitch". And even with this technique I still usually remove my sutures at day 4.

Ask your surgeon - but sounds like you're on your way to a great result.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

+1

This should not be a problem unless undue stress is placed on the wound and it opens up.  Some surgeons use fast dissolving sutures and some use topical adhesive. Just me sure to inform your surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Sutures out two days after blepharoplasty

+1
I normally remove eyelid sutures two to three days post operatively. The eyelids heal very quickly and delaying suture removal can affect the scar. Early suture detachment should not be a problem but, as with anything in your postop course, you should inform your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Depends on where the stitches are

+1

How long eyelid stitches should remain depend on location of the stitches.  I generally remove upper eyelid sutures in three to five days and lower eyelid sutures in five to seven days.  If the stitches are in the upper eyelid and they came out after one or two days, generally that is not a problem.  It sounds like that you have had no problems with the stitches coming out after two days.  I would not worry about it. 

James Tang, MD

Stitches out after two days

+1

As long as the incision is closed you should be fine. Eyelid incision wounds heal amazingly well.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Check with your surgeon and don't rub your eyes

+1

As long as the incision line is intact you are fine. But it is fragile and you could rub it apart accidentally so be sure to leave the area absolutely alone and go have your doctor check you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Take care and get re-evaluated

+1

It sounds like you had a running subcuticular suture and you accidently pulled it out. You must be very careful not to fully separate your incision. The skin of the eyelids is quite thin and since there is litte tension on it you may be okay. Avoid rubbing your eyes until you can be seen again.

Eyes Wide Shut?

+1

Blepharoplasty is a delicate surgical procedure, and the incisions are closed with delicate sutures. Most commonly, the ends of the sutures are held down to the skin at the nasal bridge and at the corner of the eyes with Steri-Strips or paper tape, until the stitches are removed by the surgeon in 5 days or so.

If the sutures come out prematurely, nothing needs to be done as long as the suture line of the incision stays closed. Take care not to rub or wash the eyelids forcefully for a few weeks. If the incision opens up, you may require re-suturing, or application of a tissue glue to hold the skin closure during the initial healing phase.

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD