Stitches Came off 2 Days After Blepharoplasty

I had Blepharoplasty 4 days ago, and my stitches came out on the second day. Is that bad? Everything looks sealed tight, but I wanted to make sure nothing is wrong.

You should be fine

It is important for you to let your surgeon know that the sutures came out. However, if everything looks okay, then you should be fine. We often take our sutures out after three days for blepharoplasty patients anyway - so, I would not be worried. Enjoy your new eyes!

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Early stitch removal usually good

Some surgeons don't use stitches but use a topical glue. Some have stitches under the skin holding tissues in place. But usually stitches placed through the skin that need to be removed are best removed earlier rather than later especially if there is little intrinsic tension on the wound that should be the case in most blepharoplasty surgeries. The body forms its own "glue" that keeps "tensionless" incisions closed and the longer you leave stitches in the skin, the more like you are to have the "railroad track" type of stitch markings. I often take stitches out by day 1-3. Bottom line is, if it hasn't fallen apart by now, don't worry, you have the best of both worlds: adequate healing and miminal stitch marks.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Bleph suture techniques

Thanks for the question. As always these are great questions to ask your surgeon. There is no one who will understand more about the details of the procedure you received than the surgeon who did it.

Timing of suture removal can be important in terms of healing and minimizing scar formation. In my San Francisco area practice I use a combination of a "running subcuticular" suture that tends to minimize scarring instead of the more familiar "running stitch". And even with this technique I still usually remove my sutures at day 4.

Ask your surgeon - but sounds like you're on your way to a great result.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

4000 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

Premature Loose Sutures

Thank you for sharing the question. It is not uncommon for sutures to become loose or broken following blepharoplasty. As long as the wound remains closed, it will not compromise the results and in some cases can actually make the scar look better. If the wound opens, the surgeon must be notified. I hope this helps other patients with similar concerns.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

450 Mamaroneck Ave
Harrison, NY 10528

Talk to your surgeon

That's quite early for the stitches to come out. It's best to talk to your surgeon about this, just to make sure that it's okay. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Let your surgeon know

If it looks like it's healed over and sealed well, then there should be no problem. However, just in case you should let your surgeon know.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

This should not be a problem unless undue stress is placed on the wound and it opens up.  Some surgeons use fast dissolving sutures and some use topical adhesive. Just me sure to inform your surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027

Sutures out two days after blepharoplasty

I normally remove eyelid sutures two to three days post operatively. The eyelids heal very quickly and delaying suture removal can affect the scar. Early suture detachment should not be a problem but, as with anything in your postop course, you should inform your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Depends on where the stitches are

How long eyelid stitches should remain depend on location of the stitches.  I generally remove upper eyelid sutures in three to five days and lower eyelid sutures in five to seven days.  If the stitches are in the upper eyelid and they came out after one or two days, generally that is not a problem.  It sounds like that you have had no problems with the stitches coming out after two days.  I would not worry about it. 

James Tang, MD

11302 Fallbrook Drive
Houston, TX 77065-4235

Stitches out after two days

As long as the incision is closed you should be fine. Eyelid incision wounds heal amazingly well.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

1800 Emerson St
Denver, CO 80218