Wearing Makeup After Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Surgery

I had Blepharoplasty 4 days ago, and need to go back to work next week. I have read everywhere that I'm not supposed to wear any eye make up for 2 - 3 weeks. But if my skin looks sealed and healed by next week, is there any reason I can't wear make up sooner?

Hi there, although it is not ideal, most can start wearing makeup about seven or eight days following their surgery. Often, stitches are removed on day five or six. The tiny holes from the stitches are usually sealed within 12 to 24 hours. If your surgeon has used a subcuticular type of stitching, there are no holes to worry about. However, it is very important to understand that the skin incisions are not very strong at this point. Your skin is sealed but not fully healed. One must be very gentle on applying makeup and be even more gentle on removing it. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon however as others have different opinions. This has been working out in my practice.

Makeup after eyelid surgery

I generally advise patients not wear make-up for the first two weeks after surgery. When you start putting on makeup again, don't use any products that are very dark because pigments can permanently darken incision lines. However, it's best to ask your surgeon because they might have different advice.

Apply Makeup Once Stitches Are Removed Following Eyelid Surgery

Normally, it is safe to apply makeup after eyelid surgery, one week after the stitches are removed. At this point, the wounds should be sealed and healed enough. If there is any delayed wound healing, then use of makeup will be delayed. If a transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty is performed, there are no external incisions and the use of makeup may be sooner than eyelid surgery performed through an external incision.

It is very important to be gentle during the application and removal of eyelid makeup so as not to disturb the wound healing process.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Applying Makeup Before Your Incisions Are Ready Following Eyelid Surgery May Result in Scarring & Infection

Makeup can be extremely irritating to a fresh surgical incision. Furthermore, the cleansing agents used to remove makeup are even more irritating. For these reasons, we generally don’t allow patients to wear makeup for at least a week following suture removal. Hopefully, at this point the edges of the wound are sealed.

Many patients who have had blepharoplasty are eager to return to their normal lifestyle. Unfortunately, they have had bruising and swelling which can make it difficult to go out in public. For these reasons they are in a hurry to apply makeup as soon as possible after surgery.

Applying makeup before your incisions are ready could result in scarring and possibly infection. If you have questions regarding this issue, make sure you discuss them with your surgeon.

Makeup and Blepharoplasty

I would try to wait a week after surgery to start using makeup atleast. The wounds are still healing and your doctor does not want to risk infection or the wound opening up. I would gingerly remove the makeup and be careful about using alcohol based removers. Getting a blepharoplasty is not like getting a haircut or a cheeseburger. You are not doing this every month so I tell patients to stick by the rules. To be frank, it is frustrating for a surgeon when you give your patient a set of guidelines to minimize  complications and maximize the outcome and they don't do it because "they talked to someone" or "I heard from another doctor" and now there is a complication. Your surgeon knows your individual case. He did you your surgery and may feel for some reason that makeup should be held off. I wouldn't "do my own thing". That is the honest truth. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Avoid Cosmetics

Make up can irritate the incision.

You should speak with your surgeon for further details. You may be allowed to wear make-up earlier in your particular case.

Seeing your surgeon before applying cosmetics is important, especially if you want to put it on so soon before the recommended wait time.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Do not use mascara, eye liner, or eye shadow until approved by us (usually 10-14 days) Minimal makeup applied to any bruising of the lower lid is acceptable at any time, but do not pull on the lids or incisions

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Makeup after surgery

Most eyelid surgery recommendations include 2-3 weeks of waiting after surgery before applying mascara or eye make up. You wear to be certain that the wounds are closed as to not put foreign material inside the wounds as they close to avoid infections or lumps and bumps that could cause problems later. Each patient is different though, and I would recommend consulting your surgeon to make sure all is well prior to using make up. Good luck!

Makeup after blepharoplasty

It use usually safe to wear makeup to cover the bruises 1 week after blepharoplasty. It would be prudent to avoid applying makeup to the surgical incisions for 2 weeks. Sunglasses are important to wear in order to avoid UV light discoloring the wound. 

Makeup after eyelid surgery

I usually allow my oatients to wear makeup at about one week, especially to cover the bruising that most patients have.  You should ask your particular surgeon about his or her suggestions and protocol.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD