Gel Pads to Speed Up Blepharoplasty Healing?

I had Blepharoplasty 4 days ago, and need to go back to work next week. Will "second skin" type compression/adhesive gel pads speed up the healing process or harm it?

Quick recovery following blepharoplasty related to keeping bruising to a minimum

+1

There are several things that can be done to keep brusing and swelling down to a minimum with any facial procedure such as blepharoplasty or facelift

1. Keep off aspirin or aspirin containing products for 2 weeks prior to surgery and after surgery.

2. Take an arnica base product prior to surgery or Bromelan - get instructions from her surgeon on recommendations for these products

3. Keep your head elevated post surgery

4. Keep iced compresses on the eyelids as much as possible for the first 36 hours after surgery

5. Keep your blood pressure under control following surgery. This is done avoiding activities that increase your blood pressure such as bending, stooping, lifting, straining etc.

Following these tips you should enjoy a speedy recovery. Everyone is different and can expect different results.

Less is More

+1

After Blepharoplasty, most patients heal quickly by keeping their head elevated, and applying cold compresses to minimize the swelling and bruising.

I ask my patients to avoid applying anything to the eyelid incisions other than eye ointment, for the first week after surgery. By then, the sutures are removed and most patients have minimal bruising and residual swelling.

Keep it simple, and allow nature to take her course!

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

Pull out the shades

+1

Luls,

Don't do anything that could compromise your surgery unless it is approved by your surgeon.  For now, get out the shades and put in a call to your surgeon for the answer as to what he/she thinks.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Check with your doctor

+1

This is a biggy for checking with your doctor. There are different techniques for lower lid surgery. Some procedures undermine the skin only. For these patients, I am not comfortable having the patient apply a sticky gel pad. I don't know what you had done, but please ask your own doctor.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Doubt second skin wil improve swelling and bruising

+1

I doubt that second skin will improve your swelling and bruising after your blepharoplasty.  There are no studies that I am aware of that support its use.