Stitch Stuck 5-6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty. How Do I Remove It?

All healed nicely, accept a few days ago I felt something rough under my nostril, after further investigation I discovered its the end of a non dissolvable stitch! I tried tugging on it with tweezers but it feels like its attatched firm to the top of my lip on the inside. How would I get it out? Returning to the surgeon is not an option.

Stitch Removal after Rhinoplasty?

+1

Unfortunately, your only good option is to visit with a rhinoplasty surgeon for examination and stitch removal.

If you cannot go back to your surgeon, find a new one

+1

You need to find a new surgeon to follow your results as well as help now to get the stick removed.  good luck

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

It's best not to try to remove your stitch

Have your rhinoplasty surgeon examine your nose, determine exactly what is happening and address it

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

This stitch isn't stuck; it's there for a reason!

+1

This suture has become exposed or was intended to be left exposed, but its intended use and its actual composition may not be what it seems.

You have indicated that you feel this is a permanent "non-dissolvable" suture, likely because most patients feel that dissolving sutures should be "gone" by 5-6 weeks post-op. This would be true for many, but not all sutures. Some suture materials are designed to be in place for several months, while allowing the sutured tissues to heal and "knit-up" securely before the suture support and strength gives way by eventual dissolution. Or, a permanent suture was used, and has become exposed (by picking at it?). Once a permanent suture punctures the skin, it can become bacterially-contaminated, and may well NEED to be removed to avoid problems. How this affects your nose surgery outcome is best for your surgeon to decide. 

Removing something that was intentionally left in place before it was intended to be removed is another concern, and without knowing your surgeon's technique, methods, and suture choices, it is foolish to try to do this on your own. Since you can't go to see your surgeon, I would at least call and describe EXACTLY what you have discovered, and just how you discovered this. Then, follow your doctor's advice, even if it means another trip to your surgeon, or seeing a trusted colleague locally.

Remember, the patient who operates on himself has a fool for a patient!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Retained stitch 6 weeks after Rhinoplasty, how do Iget rid of it?

+1

Don't pull the stitch but rather let it dissolve on its own.  Pulling the stitch can pull down the mucoal lining on the inside of the nose.  Use a saline nasal spray that will help dissolve the stitch or go back and have the Rhinoplasty surgeon take the stitch out for you.

Retained Suture After Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry, but this is definitely a circumstance that belongs in the hands of a professional.  In the United States, many commercials carry the disclaimer, "not recommended for use at home".  This advice definitely applies here.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitch left after Rhinoplasty

+1

The sutures used for rhinoplasty are generally very small so fine instruments would be needed to remove these.  Seeing another plastic surgeon would probably be most advisable. In addition, you need to be followed by someone to make sure you continue to get a good rhinoplasty result.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It would be best for you to consult a rhinoplasty specialist to advise you about the stitch in your nose after surgery.

+1

I read your concern:

At 5-6 weeks post-op, you may be feeling a long-lasting, but non-permanent suture. If you can't see your surgeon, you could call his office and find out which suture material was used. If PDS sutures were used (my preference), these may take up to 3 mos. to dissolve.

If your nose is not red swollen or infected, it may be a bit too soon to remove this stitch, even if it's permanent. You could experience a change in the configuration of your tip cartilage.

In my view, you would be best served by consulting a reputable rhinoplasty surgeon to see what might be best for you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitch Stuck 5to 6 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

If you cant see a surgeon, you might want someone to remove it with very fine scissors and tweezers. Magnifying glasses may help also.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Extruding Stitch after Rhinoplasty

+1

Intranasal stitches are always loops with a knot.  In order to remove them the knot was be found and the loop cut.  This can be difficult inside of the nose which is why we generally do not recommend that patients try and do this themselves.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon