Steroids Injections to Reduce Swelling After Facelift?

Postop 7 weeks facelift, and necklift. Still have swelling near earlobe. My PS wants to wait 6 more weeks, before steroid injections. What is you opinion, should i give it more time to heal? Are there any side effects of steroids?

Facelift and steroid injections

+5

I would tend to agree with your plastic surgeon's reccommendation to wait 6 more weeks. The scars are immature and the swelling in that area sometimes takes 3 months to resolve on its own. Massage may help. One thing about facelifts: they look better and better with time as the swelling goes down. The trouble is that we want to look better yesterday!

Steroid Injections if and only if adequate time has passed

+4

Your surgeon has given you very sound advice.  Steroid injections can be useful in areas of excess incisional inflammation, but should only be used when acute and subacute inflammation have subsided.  The form of steroid used (usually kenalog) works via a catabolic mechanism, breaking down tissue.  This catabolic nmechanism is non-selective and can affect normal tissue also.  Allow a tincture of time to pass and don't watch the water boil!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections for facelift swelling.

+3

I agree with your doctor. Steroid injections for swelling "lumps" after a facelift can cause the surrounding fat to sink in. If it becomes a persistent lump then it should be injected carefully to avoid this.

Steroids and facelift

+1
I do not perform steroid injections do reduce swelling.  At your point, it is not surprising that you may have some swelling or lumps.  Your surgeon should check to make sure there are no problems, but I would not rush into steroid injections.  They can cause thinning if the skin and atrophy of the underlying tissue.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Steroid injections after facelift

+1

I use steroid injections to treat scars after facelift surgery.  that said, at seven weeks your incisions are still going through normal healing and a normal remolding process.  I think you should wait longer and use scar cream conscientiously before considering steroid injections.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Steroids for face lift swelling.

+1

Thank you for your question about steroid injections for ear lobe swelling after a face lift.

1. If the ear lobe swelling is very hard and caused by blood collections after surgery, a cautious steroid injection may help. 
  2. Even so, your surgeon can be right to wait. 
  3. Steroids have many side-effects. They can make scars thin, wide, red and indented.
  4. A recent article suggests that lidocaine injections without steroid can soften scar safely after a face lift. I have found it works sometimes. Ask your surgeon about this. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Steroid Injections May Cause Atrophy of the Skin

+1

I generally do not like steroid injections for reducing swelling as it may cause atrophy of the skin and fat in an unpredictable manner. Instead, I suggest and prefer using 5FU/steroid mixture only for excessive scar tissue formation on rare occasions, which does not cause atrophy.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Steroid Injections - use as a last resort

+1

Short answer: Give it more time to heal

Steroid injections are not commonly used for postoperative swelling. I think your plastic surgeon has given good advise to wait. Steroids like most medications have side effects and complications  such as hypopigmentation, fat atrophy, increased suggestibility to infection, potentially wider scars, and so on.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Steroid Injections after a Facelift

+1

I would follow you plastic surgeons advice. It is not clear from your question if there is a distinct area of swelling, such as due to a tiny hematoma, or if the scar in the incision line is thickened. Either of these generally resolve on their own over time. If they don't then steroid can help but it must be used very carefully. Steroid injected below the skin can cause fat atrophy and a depression it the skin. Steroid injected into a scar can result in an atrophic scar which is thinned and widened. So caution is advised. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections for swelling

+1

steroid injections will help soften scar tissue, but it will not make swelling or fluid magically disappear. Injecting into scar tissue might help, but it has to be scar tissue and not just fluid.

Julio Garcia, MD