Will a Facelift at a Young Age Cause Complications Later On?

I'm almost 23 years old. My skin has very little volume. My cheeks sag and give me hollow tear troughs, flat cheeks, heavy lower face with nasolabial folds, marrionette lines and sagging skin around the mouth. I look sad and very harsh in some light. I've been to several dermatologist and they don't know why my skin is like this.

It has been recommended by several Plastic surgeons to get a mid face lift. Would getting a face lift this young cause problems with getting a lift in my when I'm older? Are there any other options? Thanks!

Midfacelift or cheeklift at a young age

+3

There are two reasons to have a cheeklift or midface lift.

The most common is facial aging with drooping of the midfacial tissues.

The other is to restructure the face. This is needed in some young patients whose volume sits very low on their face and has nothing to do with aging. Usually this type of syurgery is accompanied by a deliberate change in very sad appearing eyes, or eyes that bulge excessively, etc.

It is an unusual procedure and of course pictures are worth a 1000 words...

Be very careful before undergoing any cosmetic surgery, especially surgery that is controversial.

Mid-facelift at a young age

+2

It is difficulty to give great answers to questions like this without actually examining you. That being said, if you had full cheeks when you were in high school and now the mid-facial tissues are sagging, I will differ with my colleagues and say that a mid-facelift may be appropriate, but only under certain conditions.

First of all, you need to be maintaining proper nutrition and not be emaciated . The lost of too much normal fatty tissue could "deflate" your face. Second, I would have to see how much tissue there is in the skin that is falling over the nasolabial folds to determine if resuspending this tissue higher onto the cheek bones will restore more youthful cheek fullness. If not, then cheek implants would be a better solution. Cheek implants are also better if you have always had flatness in the upper face/cheek area.

In any of these cases, I do not foresee problems for you in the future.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Midface lift at 23

+1

Its very hard for me to know why you would have age related decent of skin so early. A midface lift takes normal age related descent and repositions the tissue. There are other solutions to hollowing like fat transfer, you are too young to have a midface lift because you have no skin laxity of decent at this age. Make sure the surgeon you visit are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Mid-face lift in a 23 year old

+1

Hi there-

It would be difficult to answer your question without an examination, but generally speaking it sounds like you would benefit more from a procedure designed to improve the volume and shape of the face.

Seek a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and visit for a consultation.

Here's some advice on how to find one you like and can trust:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Facial contouring, micro fat grafting, face lifting, botox

+1

it is uncommon for someone at the age of 23 to have a facelifting procedure- BUT- The Surgeon needs to focus on your concerns and address them with the best procedure(s).

There are many ways to shape the face and provide a more youthful, aesthetic appearance.

You may try a more conservative approach- with fillers or fat grafting and procede with a lifting procedure in the future.

With Warm Regards.

Trevor M. Born, MD

Picture needed

+1

It is not reasonable to do a "Facelift" in 23 year old. Whatever your " facial problems" at your age the answer is not a Facelift. Without a picture it is not possible to say what may help but sometimes counseling if appropriate.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Midface lift in young patient

+1

A midface lift is generally performed deep under the skin- just over the bone. There is little direct pull on the skin. For that reason it is considered a "less invasive" approach and is acceptable in younger patients who don't have much loose skin. That said, early 20's is quite young and there are certainly other options to consider.

There are numerous fillers on the market today from juvederm to sculptra that can be used to correct nasolabial folds, marionette lines and even lift the cheeks.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid-face lift or cheek implants at 23

+1

I think that at 23 you should be careful of a Mid Facelift. If the problem is cheek volume, then Cheek Implants is a great options. Photos of you could help to us surgeons to guide you in the best direction to follow.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts in Young Patients

+1

If the problem is as severe as you describe, make sure a physician rules out a structural problem with your skin. A biopsy may be necessary. Without pictures to evaluate it sounds like you have an issue with mid-face contour. Implants or fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm, or your own fat may be beneficial.

Facelift at a young age

+1

It is unusual to need a facelift at your age unless you have a very specific diagnosed skin condition and I assume that you don't because you have seen dermatologists. I would advise you to see a couple of board certified plastic surgeons for a complete evaluation.

You may be a candidate for fillers ( Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse). To answer the question you asked. Let's say you did require a facelift, this would not preclude you from getting a facelift later. Prevention would be helpful in the way of a good skin care program but the aging process still continues.

Good Luck.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS