Steroid Treatments for Keloid Painful?

I have had steroid treatments in the past for my keloid and they have always been very painful. I have even refused to take anymore because of the pain during the injections. I have a large one on my ear and several more throughout my body. I have had the one on my ear and some on my body removed before and because of the pain, I could no longer keep up with the injections.

Kenalog injections for keloids and hypertrophic scars

+1

Kenalog injections, or Triamcinolone Injections, are available in two common strengths and are injected intralesionally into keloid and hypertrophic scars. Patients with uncomfortable and painful keloids often complain of pain at the time of incision. However, the kenalog is generally therapeutic and improves scar thickness and quality.

I give my patients numbing medication in a topical cream prior to injection. This usually satisfies the requirement for pain control.

Certainly can be

+1

Though steroid injections can be quite painful, the pain can be amerliorated by using either a cooling device like a Zimmer or cryothera[y. Cryotherapy also is helpful in treating the keloid. There is the caveat, however, that if the cryo is done too long, hypopigmentation can result.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist