Ear Keloid Removal

I recently saw an ENT surgeon about the half inch keloid on my right ear that I've had for 6 years, who immediately after 20 seconds of looking at it said OK we'll schedule to have it surgically removed and that'll be $950.00.

I've been researching this online and I've not found one positive outcome of having it removed, so should i just leave it alone and save my $1000? It doesn't hurt and hasn't changed in size in 2 years. My fear is that I'll spend the money just to have this disgusting thing come back even larger.

Keloid Removal

+1

Keloids on the earlobes can be effectively removed, but they can also recur.  You mentioned you have had it for 6 years.  Based on what you describe, to optimize your results it should be surgically removed followed by steroid injections.  However, you can also leave it alone if it does not bother you cosmetically or otherwise.

Inject Steroids First

+1

My suggestion is that steroids be injected into the keloid first. Your physician should inject 10 mg/cc into the keloid. It may require 2-3 treatments. If it has not reponded by then you might seek surgical consultation.

I frankly am surprised that you have seen such poor results on the internet as I have seen a number of cases do quite well. It is my opinion that people are more inclined to tell others of bad experiences than laud physicians for good experiences. It is imperative that if you have your keloid removed, you should return for steroid injections.

I have to mention also, that the price ( $950) seems a bit steep. Unless this ENT physician is some sort of keloid expert , and commands this kind of price, I would ask around to find out who else is competent with keloid surgery.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist