How is a Soof Lift Different from a Midface Lift?

I am looking for a minimal invasive procedure to lift my fat pads back up over my cheekbones after some descent that has given me more prominent n/l folds and eye bags. Filler and fat are not an option for me due to inflammatory reaction to both in the past.

SOOF and Midface Lift

+1

SOOF and Midface lift are similar.  This basically just comes down to what has descended on your face and needs to be suspended at a higher level.  These surgeries have their own list of complications.  You should find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who does facial surgery hundreds of times per year and can advise you appropriately based upon exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Midface lift?

+1

Midface lifts work great for the right reason and in the right patient. There are many different ways to perform midface lifts. They are not all created equally. Unless they are performed well you will be disappointed. Make sure that you see many post op results before you sign up. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Mid face lift or soof

+1

Both procedure are quite similar in this regard. They are long on promise but short on delivery. If you need a facelift, you should have a facelift. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for an expensive dissappointment. If these procedures were worthwhile, all surgeons would be doing them. Sorry, but that is it in a nutshell.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

The SOOF and a Mid-Face Lift

+1

The term SOOF stands for Sub Orbicularis Oris Fat. This is some of the tissue that descends to give you hollow cheek bones and nasolabial folds. One has to deal with this tissue whenever a Mid-Face Lift is done. By releasing the arcus marginalis, the tissue separating the SOOF from the ocular fat, one can combine the two fatty areas and elevate the orbicularis muscle and other tissue to correct the deformity with a blepharoplasty or a full cheek lift. This is relatively invasive. One can, however, elevate just the SOOF and surrounding tissues with a less invasive procedure using sutures or an absorbable tine device from the temple. If you are looking for something minimally invasive, I would not, however, rule out either fat or synthetic filler.  When done properly, you should not have any significant inflammation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Soof Lift & Facelift

+1

Generally speaking, both procedures are actually fairly similar variations of same concept. A Soof lift is usually done through the lower eyelids while a midface lift is performed through the temple region and gums. It's best to schedule a consultation with an expert facial plastic surgeon to determine the best option for yourself.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

SOOF lift vs. Midface lift

+1

The SOOF is the sub-orbicularis occuli fat (pad). This fat compartment is an important part of the youthful volume of the midface. It is lifted typically through a lower blepharoplasty incision (lower eyelid lift approach). This works well in some patients, but can cause unexpected changes in the shape or tension of the lower eyelid. A midface lift is performed via incisions behind the hairline, and the entire soft tissue envelope is elevated off of the cheek bone. While this does include the SOOF, the two procedures are NOT the same.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difference between SOOF lift and Midface Lift

+1

SOOF lift describes a lower eyelid lift that usually involves freeing the attachment of the muscle to the bone under the eyelids, lifting the skin and muscle, and anchoring this thick flap of tissue to the bone on outside of the orbit. It is a good way to smoothen out redundant skin/muscle bulges of the lower eyelid. For many of us, it is a standard way of performing a lower eye lift (along with the transconjunctival or internal approach).

A midface lift performed through a lower eyelid incision is similar in approach but the dissection is usually wider as the surgeon attempts to lift the cheek pad along with the lower eyelid, and hopefully improve the smile lines.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

SOOF Lift

+1

Thank you for your question about the SOOF Lift. It is a kind of mid-face lift.

• SOOF stands for sub-orbicularis oculi fat lift,
  • It smooths lower lid fat and lifts cheek tissue with an incision inside the lower lid or through the lower lid skin, results can be dramatic but -
  • it is not a minimally invasive procedure - bruising, swelling can last month. Scarring and distortion of the lower lid are a real risk,
  • Less invasive?  lower lid blepharoplasty and a small cheek implant.
  • Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

SOOF lift is a type of midface lift

+1

A SOOF lift is a type of  midface lift.  For more information you can check out the link below

Sam Naficy, MD

Midface/soof lift

+1

Soof lift and midface lift are essentially the same. However, you should not rule out fat or filler as they are usually non-inflammatory.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon