Will Numbness Go Away After a Cut to the Forehead?

I recently cut my forehead down to the bone (shape of a backwards C approx. 3"). I have had my stitches removed a few days ago. Cut is healing well, but I have noticed alittle numbness at cut site. Also, I have noticed that I can't move the eyebrow all the way up on the side of the cut. Is this normal?

Will numbness go away after a cut to the forehead?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Numbness and difficulty moving my forehead after a cut

+1

It is very common to have numbness after trauma to the skin. This will usually return in full but it can take up to a year and the return of sensation is not guaranteed. Your recovery is largely dependent on the location and depth of the laceration. If the cut was superficial, involving only skin and muscle, your prognosis for return of sensation and motion is good. If the cut was deep and in an area where sensory or motor nerves reside there is a chance that you could have permanent numbness or paralysis. Make sure that you follow up with an experienced facial plastic surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Nerve damage following forehead cut

+1

Losing sensation and movement can be frustrating, and there may be some permanent nerve damage if your cut extended down to the bone.  However, depending on the exact location of the cut and if you have some movement of the forehead on the side of the cut, my guess is that the damage is primarily to the muscle and that your forehead movement will return completely.  As for the numbness, it is likely that some sensory nerve branches were severed with the injury.  Although this can cause prolonged or even permanent numbness around the area of the injury, sensation will often return over a period of several months or years.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after a cut

+1

A cur on the forehead can lead to temporary numbness or even permanent numbness depending upon the location and depth.  As for motion, this may be related to swelling, nerve bruising, or actual nerve transection.  

Numbness after a laceration to the forehead

+1

Sorry to hear about your cut to the forehead.

It can take up to 1 year for normal sensation to return to the forehead after a laceration. The reason being is it can take this long for the sensory nerves to find their way back to the skin. Most of the time, this numbness does subside for most patients. The eyebrow not moving can be related to generalized swelling since your cut was so recent.  However, if there is an obvious weakness of your eyebrow it could be due to damage to the the branch of the facial nerve that provides sensation to your frontalis m. I would seek the opinion of a board-certified surgeon if the weakness persists after the swelling resolves.

Best of luck

Sachin Parikh, MD 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness

+1

Numbness can take up to 12 - 18 months to go away.  Swelling in the initial few weeks can affect normal movement as well

Sam Naficy, MD

Forehead nerve problems after injury

+1

You should wait for return of sensation and movement which might take as long as one year. If there is noticeable problems with forehead movement, Botox therapy could help even out the movement while healing is taking place. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Injuries and Numbness

+1
  • After a deep cut to the forehead, numbness is very common.
  • Then nerves  that serve the scalp and forehead run like telephone wires, entering the skin near the eyebrow and running to the upper scalp.
  • When the nerves are injured, they SLOWLY regrow over many months to years. Permanent numbness and tingling can occur with complete division of the nerves.  Usually the surrounding nerves can "grow in" to the numb territory and provide some sensation over time.
  • Be patient!

Michael Suzman, MD

Cut forehead

+1

It is very early after the injury to know if things will return to normal, but I imagine that they will.  If the cut is above the eyebrow, it is likely that the inflammation is preventing complete motion of the eyebrow.  When the cut was repaired, the muscles should have been repaired with deep sutures as I bet they were if they were sutured in an emergency room.

The numbness may take some time to improve, as nerves grow very slowly.  If it does not resolve completely, it will improve dramatically to the point that it will unlikely bother you.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Cut on Forehead with Numbness and Lack of Movement

+1

The numbness on the forehead and the lack of motion is concerning.  The numbness may recover as well as the motion if the nerve was stretched.  However, with a sharp injury, the nerve for the control of motion may have been severed.  I would have a plastic surgeon examine you, if this has not been done.