Would Smoking, Drinking or Spicy Foods Affect Botox Results?

I just had botox done to masseter, just wondering if smoking or drinking will affect the result, I was told spicy food and seafood are also banned for a week, could you please tell me if thats true because I love them? thanks.

Botox for masseter reduction

+1

Drinking will increase the chance of bruising somewhat, but if you already had the treatment with no bruising, then you're safe with respect to that.  Smoking and spicy foods will have no effect on your result.  

Wii Spicy Food Affect Botox Results?

+1

Hi Angie.  We know of no medical reason why nor do we know of any patients that have reported a correlation between Botox results and smoking, drinking or spicy foods.  

Feel free to do all of the above, although we'd recommend quitting smoking ASAP and limiting the drinking.  Good luck

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox not affected by smoking, foods or drink

+1

You shouldn't worry -- Botox and Dysport results should not be affected by foods, smoking or alcohol. I am aware of no data that supports this idea, and the pharmacology of Botulinum activity would not suggest this. You should be very happy with your Botox results!

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoking, Drinking, Spicy Foods do NOT affect Botox

+1

None of these will effect your botox result. Drinking does thin your blood so you may experience some bruising but again won’t effect your result. And lastly, please stop smoking!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Botox for the masseter muscle

+1

I can not think of any correlation between the effect of botox on your muscle and eating spicy food or seafood. If there were some damage to the parotid gland or duct, which I can't imagine, then you might be instructed to avoid certain foods to minimize secretion of the saliva which can leak from that area. Botox might decrease sweating in the local area when related to Frey's syndrome but this is not what you're discussing. If these restrictions were discussed by your physician who injected the Botox then you should ask why. Although I have not injected Botox to decrease hypertrophic masseter muscles yet in my practice, I would not say that there is a reason to avoid certain foods, but of course, as a physician I would always encourage people not to smoke, for different reasons.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Smoking, Drinking and Spicy Foods Do Not Affect Botox Results

+1

Smoking, drinking and eating spicy foods do not affect the outcome of botox or dysport injections so enjoy your life and look beautiful.

Good luck!

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No Eating Restrictions Needed After Botox In Masseter

+1

There is no reason to stop eating certain foods after injecting Botox into the masseter. Botox will take its time to weaken the muscle and reduce its bulk. Nothing that you do on your part will change that.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Effect

+1

Smoking and Drinking will have not have an effect on Botox injections into the Masseter muscles. I am not aware of spicy foods or seafoods having an influence one way or the other with Botox injections. As time has passed, and we all have become more experienced, there seem to be less and less admonitions following Botox treatment.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Smoking and Drinking limitations with Botulinum toxin use

+1

I, along with the other physicians here, are not certain why you were advised to avoid these activitiies. They are not traditional limitations or restrictions that we recommend following Botox injections. Drinking may thin your blood and increase the potential for bruising.

There are no dietary restrictions after a Botox treatment.

+1

Spicy food will stimulate your parotid salivary glands, but that should not affect the masseter muscles which lie just in front of them. Did your doctor inject the parotid glands in an attempt to make them smaller? I don't think your diet will affect your result, but a phone call to your physician for clarification is a good idea.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon