Hollow Wrinkle Between Lower Lip and Chin?

Hello and thank you doctors for this forum! I'm about to be 39 & want botox in between my eyebrows. Can any of you tell me what the name of the hollow, deep, wrinkle between the lower lip and chin is? It's like an upside down smiley face...I need help there bad! Would Botox or a filler work best for this wrinkle? Thanks so much!

Botox for the Chin

+2

As we age, changes in our chin include the development of wrinkling between the chin and the lip (labiomental crease), cobblestoning or irregularities of the chin, and marionette lines between the chin and jaw. These are caused by the action of facial muscles over years.

Botox can help these lines by relaxing the muscles that cause them. Injections in this area should be done by an advanced Botox practitioner with significant experience.

Injectable fillers can help correct residual folds. The combination of Botox and fillers may increase the durability of your result!

Crease between lower lip and chin

+2

The crease between the lower lip and chin is called the labiomental crease. This is difficult to improve in some patients as it is tightly bound down to the underlying tissue. Botox may help a little, but has a risk of affecting the function and appearance of your lower lip.

Often subcision, a dissecting procedure, is done from below the crease by placing a needle adjacent to it and cutting the bands of collagen that hold it down. Immediately thereafter or at another appointment, a filler may be placed under the crease to help lift it. There are many such creases that don't need the subcision. Good luck.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Mental Groove Responds to Botox and Filler

+2

The groove between lower lip and chin is called ' Labiomental or mental groove'. It is caused initally by the aggressive chin muscle (Mentalis) continuously pushing upwards and with time becames deeply engraved.

The first line of action is to use Botox in the chin (Mentalis) to stop the movement.

Next step is to use a filler in the groove, such as Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse or Sculptra

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

The groove between the lip (labium) and the chin (mentum) is appropriately called

+1

the labiomental groove or crease...it can be improved by a combination of botox to the chin area and some filler into the crease...the area is relatively difficult to treat...but be conservative...remember you don't want so much treatment that the results appear unnatural...good luck

Ken Landow, MD

A Combination of Volumizing Fillers, Subcision & Botox Works Well For Deep Furrows Between The Lips & Chin (Labiomental Creases)

+1

A deep furrow between the lower lip and the chin, the labiomental crease, which may resemble an upside down smiley facemay result from a family trait predisposition or more typically follows years of use of the surrounding muscles of facial expression. While considered one of the signs of facial aging, it can be seen in younger people as well.

Fortunately, most instances of these deepening clefts can be improved with the use of volumizing fillers, such as Radiesse or a combination of Radiesse and Perlane L--both of which are excellent lifting agents and the ones I use in my Upper East NY practice. In my Israel practice, where a greater number of regulatory agency approved products are available, I prefer to use the more robust version of Perlane, Restylane SubQ, either alone  or in combination with Radiesse for this purpose. 

In most cases, volumizers are sufficient to give the necessary lift to correct the problem. However, in instances where additional improvement may be needed, subcision may be performed. Subcision, a minimally invasive technique requiring only local anesthesia, entails the use of a fine needle inserted directly under the depression and moved from side to side to break up any fibrous tissue bands that may be pulling the overlying skin downward. Once freed from these fibrous tethers, the overlying skin can "float" to the surface and volumizing fillers can then be added (I prefer to do so at the same treatment session to eliminate the need for a second visit) to fill the newly created space below the crease and to further buttress the improvement and potentially prolong the benefits of treatment.

Occasionally, if the muscles of facial expression around the crease, such as those that give rise to the pebbly appearance of the chin or the marionette lines appear to be contributing to the problem, a few microdroplets of a neuromodulator, such as Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin, may be instilled in these surrounding areas to achieve additional improvement of the entire aesthetic unit.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox for the labiomental crease

+1

Injecting a small amount of Botox into the labiomental crease can relax the chin muscles.  Fillers can then be used to plump the crease.  Please have treatment with an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fillers and Botox work together for the chin area.

+1

The crease between the chin and lower lip can be pronounced in some people. It is called the labiomental (lip-chin) crease. There are also a lot of muscles in the chin area. Some muscles cause chin dimpling with certain expressions, and others help the lower lip function properly. A small amount of carefully placed Botox, combined with fllers under the crease itself, can smooth the chin area nicely.

Too much Botox will compromise normal mouth function, so be careful.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Fillers for wrinkles

+1

This labiomental skin crease can be appropriately treated with a filler.  Juvederm and Restylane work well for this area, but may last 6-9 months.  Radiesse lasts up to 18 months but must be carefully injected into the appropriate plane to avoid lumps.  There is also a semipermanent filler, but I tend to avoid this as complications associated with it are difficult to correct. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

Labiomental crease and Botox

+1

The use of Botox is an advanced application.  As such, it should only be used by physicians who are experienced in injecting in this area.  The line which occurs between the lip and chin is called the labiomental crease and can be softened with the proper use of Botox.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Labio-Mental Crease Treatment

+1

The crease between the lip (labia) and chin (mentum) is called, you guessed it, labio-mental crease.  This is sometimes helped subtly with Botox but mostly it is treated with fillers like Juvederm and Restylane.  Another common problem in the chin are the small dimples that can occur with certain facial expressions.  The dimples sometimes look like the skin of an orange.  This is caused by the mentalis muscle and is very well treated with Botox.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon