Smiling After Rhinoplasty

i recently underwent rhinoplasty ( 2 weeks ago) to fix a deviated septum. sometimes something funny makes me laugh and then i smile and it really hurts my nose. can smiling damamge the results of the rhinoplasty?

Smile all you want after rhinoplasty!

+3

Hi George,

I wouldn't worry a bit about smiling after your nasal surgery.  This is likely just due to edema and irritation of the surrounding tissues.  Go ahead and smile..and enjoy your new nose and breathing!

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smiling will not damage your rhinoplasty!

+2

After two weeks, there is still substantial healing, softening, and scar maturation to occur, including sensory nerve regrowth. As long as you are not forcefully blowing your nose at two weeks (after 3 weeks is OK) or doing anything very strenuous for another week or so, you can safely smile all you want without any concern at all! The soreness you experience when your facial muscles animate as you smile will gradually go away.

Other areas of your nasal skin may be numb, so be careful about sunburn and/or frostbite--your normal "warning soreness" is absent. This too recovers over several months. Residual soreness (in the tissues where there you have nerve sensation) should be gone in several weeks. Cheers!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Laughing After Rhinoplasty Why it Hurts.

+2

Dear George from Montreal
Since you had a septorhinoplasty two weeks ago, the nasal tissue is not completely healed. When you laugh many of your facial muscles are used that may pull your nasal tissue and causing discomfort. Go ahead and smile, it won’t hurt your nose job. Enjoy your new nose.

Web reference: http://www.orangecountynosejob.com

Laughing and rhinoplasty

+1

Laughing and having some discomfort after a rhinoplasty is normal during the early post-op healing process. The smile action pulls on the soft tissue around the nose and causes the discomfort.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.