SmartLipo Vs Lipo-Ex?

I have a layer of fat around my thighs. I have tried diet and exercise, but they don't work. I have been to see 2 different doctors in the area where I live. One doctor offers Laser Liposuction (SmartLipo), and the other offers something called Radio Frequency-Assisted Lipoplasty (Lipo-Ex). They both believe their method is best.

However, I'm not sure about this. The Lipo-Ex sounds good, since it’s completely non-invasive and pain free. But, how much fat will it actually remove from my body, and how permanent is it, compared to Smart Lipo? Does it destroy the fat cells similar to liposuction? I know for sure that the SmartLipo would remove the fat from my thighs, and it’s permanent. The problem is, what's going to happen if I gain weight as I age? I was told that with any type of Liposuction technique, weight gain post-procedure makes your body take on a "pitted" or "globby" appearance. That doesn’t sound good either.

I’m not an exercise fanatic, but I’m not a couch potato. I try to eat healthy most of the time. I am within weight range for my height. Cost is not an issue. I simply need more information so that I can make an informed decision on what procedure will best suit my needs. Thanks.

Smartlipo and Liposuction versus non invasive treatments

Anyone can waive a wand over you and say it may work.  That is what many of these non-invasive treatments such as radio frequency are.  Simply, they do not work.  If you want the fat removed, then you are going to have to have it physically removed with some type of invasive liposuction such as Smartlipo or Tumescent Liposuction.  Good luck. 

Smart lipo vs lipo Ex

To begin with surgical liposuction and some of the new nonsurgical devices that can destroy or lyse fat cells such as cool sculpting, Liposonix and what sounds like lipo Ex using radio frequency waves like TruSculpt does should be reserved for targeting areas of disproportion to create a better balanced body. They all really have nothing to do with weight loss or muscle tone and exercise. These are the patients responsibility. When you are comparing a surgical procedure such as Smart Lipo to a non surgical procedure such as Lipo Ex there really is no comparison. The surgical procedure if well done can give you dramatic results. The nonsurgical procedure should be reserved for patients who simply do not want to undergo surgery, are good candidates looking for mild improvements. This is the way I represent it in my practice when a patient is looking to decide between surgery or not.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo Vs Lipo Ex

SmartLipo is laser assisted Liposuction. Its probably better to research who is doing your procedure. Smart doctors have learned how to use technology to get the desired result. Your doctor should inform you which technology works best for your problem. Non-surgical options has a role in some problem, but make sure to consult a plastic surgeon that offers many options - surgical and non-surgical. If all they have is a hammer, everything will look like a nail.

Liposuction using Smartlipo permanently destroys & removes the treated fat cells. Adults do not create new fat cells. One of my patients recently had SmartLipo but had poor results and was burned! She said "I didn't know that my cosmetic surgeon was not a Plastic Surgeon" We had to fix her abdomen and other areas damaged by the laser. Cost should not be the only criteria for selecting your Plastic Surgeon. Experience and training matters a lot. Non Plastic surgeons (cosmetic surgeons) tend to charge less than Plastic Surgeon. Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon.

Questions to ask (Answering NO is a big red flag)
1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (Do you know difference between cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon)
2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery?
3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited procedure room or ambulatory surgery center
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform liposuction or SmartLipo?
5) Do you offer complication insurance (it does happen, it better to be safe)

The most important decision is to do your homework well. Any doctor can offer SmartLipo. Its your duty to know who is doing your procedure. Its better to choose a Smart Doctor. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Consider Non-Invasive Treatments for Excess Fat around Thighs

Treating excess fat around the thighs is always one of the more difficult problems we see in our clinical practices. Smart Lipo and laser-assisted liposuction truly works here — and in skilled hands can give very nice results. In 2014, we do have several other technologies you might want to consider that are also non-invasive and have shown pretty good success in these areas. First is CoolSculpting – and some new applicator tips allow treatment of the thighs. Then there is UltraShape, new to the U.S. market, not new in fat reduction, also which can be used and has been used to remove fat in these areas. I would suggest getting into an office which has many devices and can go through the pros and cons of each procedure.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart Lipo VS. Non Invasive Lipo

Significant results from Smartlipo / Liposuction are more evident compared to size reduction from non surgical methods. If you are looking for a major difference in the appearance of your thighs, this can only be accomplished by a surgical procedure that removes fat. If you gain weight, there are no procedures - non surgical or otherwise that will prevent you from increasing in size. Healthy eating habits and exercise are the solution to maintaining your post procedure appearance.

Dr. B

Smart Lipo vs Lipo EX

Consider traditional liposuction. Also any liposuction result is based on your starting skin quality. If you have lost a lot of weight, or have been in the sun a lot, your skin quality may not be as good as you think.. You should visit with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. Don't pay for a marketing mirage. You should visit with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. Don't pay for a marketing mirage. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Smart liposuction specialist in Los Angeles

Smart liposuction uses laser to breakdown fat cells in order to facilitate the liposuction process. Smart liposuction in los angeles is gaining popularity but many patients are unaware of its risks and potential complications. In my professional opinion as a plastic surgeon who specializes in liposuction, tumescent liposuction is more effective in terms of liposuction resutls and carries far less risks.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction Candidate?

Based on the description, you may be a good candidate for liposuction surgery. As you have mentioned,  if the procedure  recommended sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Please make sure you are consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

SmartLipo vs LipoEx

Any procedure that does not physically remove fat will have very subtle results. If you're goal is to have a more dramatic change then SmartLipo (or any traditional form of liposuction) where fat cells are actually removed is the way to go. While a totally non-invasive technique sounds great, the old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds true.

You simply cannot get dramatic results by "melting" fat with sound waves. These methods are more suited for people who either have very small problem areas and want only minimal change or for those that are not good surgical candidates, for whatever reason.

In my experience, most people who opt for the non-invasive option are usually not satisfied and end up going with the more invasive option thereby spending more money and investing more "downtime" in their treatment. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD