Is Smartlipo Really Worth It?

I want to get my arms and stomach liposuctioned. I'm not overweight (I’m 5 ft tall, and I weigh 100 - 105 lbs), but I have tiny pockets of fat that I cannot get rid of with diet or exercise. I am pretty active--I run a minimum of 25 miles a week, and I go to yoga about 5 times a week. I am also only in my 20s, so I think my skin is pretty elastic.

I went to one PS for a consultation, and he recommended that I get SmartLipo. (He is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and an APS member.) He says I will achieve enhanced skin tightening and see much better results with SmartLipo, than with traditional liposuction. Since I am fairly active, I'd like to get back to my regular workout as soon possible, so the shorter recovery period of SmartLipo is also appealing.

However, I don't think I can really justify spending $9000 on SmartLipo (vs. about $5K-$6K on traditional liposuction) when I'm not overweight to begin with. Is SmartLipo really worth it, or is he just trying to make more money? Will I really heal much faster and achieve less discomfort with SmartLipo than traditional liposuction? Are the lasers that promote skin tightening in SmartLipo really going to make that much of a difference on me? Thanks for your help. Any input would be appreciated.

Smart Lipo is a good choice

+2

Sarah, SmartLipo is a good choice for someone looking to remove small to moderate amounts of fat while achieving skin tightening. The newest generation of SmartLipo actually involves two lasers at the same time. The benefit is enhanced skin tightening. Most surgeons follow the SmartLipo tightening procedure with liposuction to remove the melted fat. This allows for additional fat removal.

I hope this is helpful.

SmartLipo vs liposuction cost

+1

Smart Lipo or even regular Liposuction will be safe and effective in your situation.   given your good skin quality you would be a candidate for either.  There is a greater opportunity to remove more fat from liposuction versus Smart Lipo. Whether it is worth the cost is a value judgement on your part.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

No difference

+1

I do not think that there is any difference in the results between "smart" lipo and what people are calling "dumb" lipo.  Traditional lipo is usually easier with fewer risks, and I do not think you get significant tightening with Smartlipo.  But it is a great marketing tool.