Burning in Sternum After Breast Augmentation

Is it normal to still have a burning sensation in my muscle near my sternum 7 months post? It just happens to be on my breast that has slightly bottomed out and where the muscle got partially detached along my sternum.... the bottom of my breast is also numb on that side.

It could just be nerves or it could be the muscle being stretched by the implant still.I also get burning in my nipple, but I'm not sure if it's related.My surgeon doesn't know why I'm getting burning in my sternum in my muscle.

Burning in sternum after augmentation

+3

The burning you are experiencing is undoubtedly due to nerve irritation.  I would recommend using anti-inflamatories to lessen the pain and possibly a nerve block if it persists.  It should resolve but seven months is a long time.  Ask your surgeon for a referral to a pain specialist if pain does not respond to the other measures.

Talmage J Raine MD FACS

Pain and burning sensation after breast augmentation

+2

Pain and burning sensations after breast surgery are not entirely normal.

It is important not to ignore nerve pain or unpleasant sensations relating to nerves because these may become permanent.

Often physical therapy, desensitization, and occasionally a neurologist may be helpful.

Also if the problem is located at an area that requires revision, that may be the time to investigate the nerve problem.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
This is normal, it likely has to do with the muscle being over dissected a bit which would feel like a really aggresive chest workout

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Burning 7 months after is not common

+1

Burning 7 months after breast augmentation is not common.  Likely origin of the problem is nerve injury.  If symptoms improve with implant manipulation  then one can consider revisional surgery for symptoms.  Otherwise it be best to review with your surgeon nonsurgery options based on your symptomatology (sometimes meds such as neurontin, or desensitization techniques via OT).

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Burning pain after augmentation

+1

It is likely a nerve problem but could be a traction problem with the bottoming out.  If the pain goes away or is a lot better when you support the bottomed out area with your hand, providing some support to this area either with stitches and/or Alloderm or Stattice may help.  I have not had any patients with the issue you have medially but I have had a few patients with bottoming out laterally who have had a lot of discomfort that resolves when the bottoming out is fixed.  Good luck. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Burning sensation after breast augmentation

+1

The speed of sensory return can vary greatly from patient to patient.  Your surgeon would need to rule out other causes such as problems with the implant, but such sensations can occur from sensory reinnervation or small nerve endings being trapped in scar which is normally formed.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Burning after augmentation

+1

it is not unusual to have sensory irritation even up to a year after augmentation.  it is odd but i have found that the side that the patient feels has an appearance problem also has a pain problem associated with it. be patient.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensation in sternum after breast augmentation

+1

You probably have some paresthesia of sensory nerves in the area of the burning.  Have your surgeon evaluate you to rule out other pathology.  Donald R Nunn MD  Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Burning sensation from stretching

+1
Burning sensation usually means a nerve is being irritated.  It could be that it is being stretched or it may be caught in some scar tissue that is not irritating it.  Potentially a talk with a pain specialist may help.  Sometimes medication can be used to soothe irritated nerves.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Not common but possible

+1

It is not common to have pain or burning 7 months after your breast augmentation in or around your sternum but possible.

In the first 3 to 4 months after the surgery it is not uncommon to have numbness, tingling and burning sensation in any area of the breast due to regeneration of the sensory nerves that may have been servered during surgery. The sensation usually comes back around that time.

Although sudden new pain at 7 months could be due to nerve regeneration it is unlikely.

If it is new onset pain that has not been there before it could be some type of inflammatory condition that maybe temporary such as of the cartilage or bone in that area. A short course of anti-inflammatory may help.

See your doctor and if it gets worse and does not get better further studies such as blood work for inflammatory markers or an MRI maybe warranted.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon