Should I be Moving Around Immediately After Breast Augmentation?

My doctor is saying to get up even at night every 1-2 hours for 4 days following surgery. Is this what is recommended? Also, some doctors recommend resuming normal things (light housework and exercises with your hands above your head) immediately. My doctor says not to put my hands above my head for the first week.

Why are there such conflicting instructions for the same surgery? I found the same confliction regarding icing breasts after surgery. Could I get some answers to these? Thanks.

Should i be moving around

+3

there are no set answers because medicine is a biologic science not a physical science. there are variations in everything patients, healing abilities  etc.  in a perfect world surgeons would have you do nothing after any surgery so thye healing would be better. however this can cause the blood clots we are all afraid of.  life gets in the way. most people have to go to work , raise kids etc... so we all have to compromise.  i tell people no more than 10-15 lbs of lifting for 10-days to 2 weeks .  my 2 most recent hematomas were after bowling at a week and amorous activity at 10 days.  common sense is really important!!

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Post Breast Augmentation Exercises

+1

It it normal to get up and move around immediately after any type of surgery whether it is a breast augmentation, abdominoplasty, or facelift. It is important to do that to prevent significant post-operative complications including pneumonia, deep vein thrombosis, and other major complications. However, the most important aspect is to not increase your heart rate above 100 after any type of surgery for at least 2 weeks. After breast augmentation, it is important to move your upper extremities early after surgery and you can shower usually after 24 hours. You can resume most physical activities in 2-3 weeks.

Fast Recovery

+1

I strongly encourage my Breast Augmentation to begin stretching in the recovery room with hands above their. I permit them to go home and shower and wash the hair. They feel better quicker and require less narcotics. This prevents and lessens early spasm in the chest wall muscle  and less pain. Other surgeons may disagree but this routine has worked well for my patients and I.

Stay ambulatory is good for the circulation

+1

Stay ambulatory is good for the circulation and prevention of DVT.  However, after breast augmentation too much movement in the first several days after breast augmentation should be avoided to reduce the risk of seroma and hematoma.  This risk reduces progressively so that light housework can be resume in 2 weeks and heavy work recommenced at 6weeks.

Chen Lee, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

No Universal Approach to Surgery or Post op Care

+1

Yes it is confusing and it is best to follow your doctor's advice as it works for her or him.   That being said, I encourage my patients to get up and out of bed.  I do not ask them to wake up every 2 hours and I think you may have misunderstood your surgeon.  You heed your rest to heal properly.   If it hurts dont do it is my approach.  I allow my patients to put their arms where ever they please.    Good Luck!  Dr Grant Stevens

Web reference: http://www.ThePerfectBreast.com

Breast augmentation

+1
I usually advise people to get out of bed and move around. I usually have patients limit there upper body activity for the first couple of weeks

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

It is a good idea not to remain in bed for prolonged periods after any surgery including breast augmentation.  However, I think you may have misunderstood you doctor about getting up every 1-2 hours at night.  Movement of the leg muscles will help prevent blood clots or DVTs from forming in the legs.  Just make certain you aren't doing anything too strenuous (anything that would make your heart race or cause you to sweat) for the first tow or three weeks after the augmentaion as those types of activites can increase blood pressure and cause bruising or bleeding. 

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Confusing postoperative requirements following a breast augmentation

+1

Plastic surgeons, like people in general, have their own preferences and ideas as to what works and what may be best. However, that doesn't mean that such things are always prudent, necessary or even effective. Waking up and moving around every 1 - 2 hrs after surgery is rather excessive and unnecessary in my opinion. Nevertheless, since your plastic surgeon is the one who operated on you and is responsible for your care, you need to discuss these issues with him/her.

My recommendation for my own patients is to be up and around after surgery, doing activities in moderation. Laying in bed or just being largely inactive can be detrimental for your progress and may increase your risk for the development of clots in your legs. There is no heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks. Supportive stockings can be worn for the first few days after surgery though this is not a critical point for most patients.

Web reference: http://www.arizonabreast.com

Breast Implants - Activity Post-Op; Exercise

+1

HI newsoon,

First of all, you should follow the specific recommendations of your own plastic surgeon.  I've included my guidelines below and you may want to check with him or her to make sure you've understood what they recommend but you should definitely follow the post-operative instructions you've been given.

I generally recommend that patients get up and move around at least every 3-4 hours, but not that they wake up to do so.  And if you've been in bed for a while and don't want to get up, I suggest having someone massage your calves to simulate movement, and to decrease the likelihood of blood clots.

No exercise for three weeks, and at that point you can start slowly and advance as tolerated.  For the first three weeks, then, you can get up and move around, and gradually increase your level of activity.  But not to anything that might count as exercise.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

How much activity after breast augmentation?

+1

It is most important not to just lie in bed.  Move around.  Don't do any heavy lifting.  These recommendations are pretty universal.  I additionally add that I dont want you to lift your arms above your head for the first ten days.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon