Breast Augmentation and Horseback Riding Limitations?

I regularly ride and want to know my limits and time off after surgery (a cup to c cup). I can have someone saddle my horse and I use a stool to get on so am not reaching much. In saddle, my elbows generally stay at my side. Knowing this, what can I expect for time off and limitations?

Avoid anything strenous for 6wks

+3

Six weeks of healing is a safe recommendation as it usually takes this time for durable healing of the skin.  If the implant is submammary you might consider gentle riding earlier.  However if the implan is submuscular you should avoid riding for up to 8 weeks as the pect muscle might be too painful to allow you to safely hold the reins.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+3

HI,

It actually matters what type of augmentation you get. If the implant is completely sub-glandular (under the breast only), then you can ride without fear as long as you are pain free. Just wear a good sports bra. If it is partly or completely under the muscle, then you might have more pain as you use your arms. After a week or so it probably will not impact your cosmetic result to ride. It might be painful  if you move your arms a great deal. I don't recommend serious galluping or jumping for 4-6 weeks, but normal riding should not be a problem. Again, wear a good sports bra to minimize breast motion during the ride.

Good luck and have fun

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Recommend waiting around 6 weeks after breast augmentation to engage in horseback riding

+2

For most vigorous activities, my patients are instructed to wait until at least 3 weeks after their breast augmentation. There are some exceptions. Given the jarring, shearing and other motions, my recommendation would be to wait closer to 6 weeks to engage in vigorous horseback riding. The risk that you are trying to avoid is largely the development of bleeding and the formation of a hematoma.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast augmentation and exercise

+2

I would recommend avoiding horseback riding as well as any strenuous physical activity for 6 weeks following surgery.  Thereafter, you should wear a good supportive sports bra when you engage in any strenuous activity.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Horseback riding

+2

I would not ride your horse for the first few weeks.  There are two problems, one is the bouncing involved - whenever you start back riding, I would wear 2 support bras to minimize the bouncing while the implants are creating their capsule (scar tissue around the implant) so that they stay in position.  Secondly, you want to be able to pull the reins, especially in an emergency - therefore, you don't want to ride until you are completely pain free.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Horseback riding after breast augmentation

+2

Upper body exercise after breast augmentation with a submuscular implant generally takes four to six weeks, lower body exercise just two to three. Driving is fine even after one week. The issue is control. Horses don't have power brakes and steering and safety is a concern to both you and the animal. If your horse is the very gentle type (only type) I would ride, three weeks are good. If you are going National Velvet give yourself some time.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast augmentation

+2

I usually recommend at least 3 weeks before any exercise but longer for anything involving the upper body. Something like what you are describing I would probably recommend 6 weeks prior to resuming the horseback riding

David L. Abramson, MD

BA and riding

+2

I would recommend at least 6 weeks wait time to start riding again-make sure you wear good support and listen to your body.  I would start slow and maybe wit on doing jumps until about 3 months out

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug and horseback

+2

i would suggest  a minimum of 3 weeks. i do not ride but it would seem to me that there is some serious stress on your chest muscles controlling those large animals, so i think six weeks may be necessary before you can ride with limited pain

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and activity

+1

I would say 4 weeks would be enough time for some athletic activity. I have no idea how much you need your arms with horseback riding so to be safe 6 weeks might be better.

David E. Kim, MD