How Do I Sleep After Mommy Makeover?

I initially rented a recliner, but after 6 days I was having such excruciating pain on my lower back I couldn't take it. Now I propped up pillows on my bed, to no avail, I keep sliding down. I don't know if it's my petite frame, but after 5 days of no meds, I think I'm going to need Percocet to sleep. What do I do, I need sleep!

Post-Abdominalplasty Back Pain

+2

Each plastic surgeon advises his or her patient to follow rules that that plastic surgeon believes in.  The answer to this question should come directly from your operating plastic surgeon.  That being said, in my practice, one can lay flat after the first 3 days.  That's also when the drains are removed.  The low back pain you are experiencing could possibly be from liposuction of the flanks.  Again, in my practice, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, such as Advil, are appropriate after the first 5 days.  The greatest amount of swelling after any surgery, but certainly after the multiple surgeries of a Mommy Makeover, occur at the 5th or 6th day.  Therefore, much of the pain you are experiencing may be from fluid, which your body will mobilize and urinate out within the next day or two.  

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Mommy Makeover.

+2

Sorry to hear you are suffering with low back pain that is keeping you up at night.

Get back in touch with your plastic surgeon to see if he (she) can get you a prescription for an antiinflammatory (such as meloxicam) and,or, a muscle relaxant.  Taking the narcotic (percocet) at this early time after your surgery is probably a good idea, as well.

Lastly, see if your plastic surgeon thinks that you can soak your back in a shallow bath to obtain some relief.

Hope your recovery progresses quickly...

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+2

Use a lot of pillows on your back. Also sleeping on the sides and hugging pillows will help you. Percocet should not be used to help you sleep. It will reduce the pain but will not induce sleep and it will make you constipated, which will cause additional problems. Lot of walking will increase blood flow and circulation and will expedite the recovery. Think about the final results in order to encourage yourself.

Richard Hodnett, MD

Sleep after Mommy Makeover

+2

There is no "one" particular position for sleep. The "one" is the one that allows you to sleep. As you know, we change positions naturally all night during our sleep. I recommend that my patients get in any position that's comfortable, and your body will tell you what that is. And yes, it's ok to take Percocet to help with your discomfort and help you sleep. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon who may have some good ideas for you.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Mommy Makeover

+2

Yes, sometimes it is difficult to sleep after Mommy Makeover. Sometimes I ask patients to sleep on their side (in the fetal position) to alleviate lower back pain.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she agrees with this.

It will get better with time... be patient.

How Do I Sleep After Mommy Makeover?

+1
The answer to this is very individualized.  Overall I recommend my patients use a lot of pillows to help behind their back and behind the knees.  A bit of knee flexion (bend) seems to help a lot for my patient's feedback.  Sleeping on your side can be fine, but should be done in a way to still protect the surgical work overall.  

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Getting some sleep after a mommy makeover

+1

It can be so hard to find a comfortable position for sleeping after surgery.  I think that a couple of body pillows come in very, very handy to help with positioning and they don't shift around like small pillows do.  Most patients can find a safe and comfortable position on their side within a couple of days of surgery.  Make sure you check with your doctor about what position he/she thinks is safe.

Also, don't hesitate to take a dose of pain medication before bed time and your doctor may even recommend a separate sleeping medication for a few days until you get your regualr sleep schedule back.  Also, there are lots of apps with very soothing music to help calm a racing mind.  That can be helpful and make sure the kids, the dog and the cat are banished from your bedroom! 

Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing and can make recovery harder than it should be. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Everyone’s back will hurt after staying bent for 1 week

+1

Every patient who has an aggressive tummy tuck will develop some back pain during the recovery period.  It is beneficial for your abdominal skin to stay “relaxed” during the initial healing phase, so maintaining a bent posture is good for the skin.  However, maintaining a bent posture for 1 week will cause your back muscles to become sore or spasm, which causes the back pain.  At my one week visit, I start to allow patients to stand straighter, which helps the back pain resolve in about 2 or 3 days.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS