What Size Breast Implant Will Look Natural on a Very Slim Woman?

Hi! I'm 26 years old, 5'5'' and 101 lbs. I have always been very slim and currently wear a 32A or 32B bra. I'd like to get breast augmentation surgery. However it is very important to me to have my breast shape and size still look as natural as possible. My chest measurement below my breast is 27.4'' and above the breast is 30''. What size implants will give me a fuller chest while still looking natural? (No top-heavy look or rounded, obvious breast implant shape).

Natural looking breast implants

+4
A natural looking result from breast implant surgery requires more than just the right size (not too large) implant. The placement of the implant, the position on the chest wall, the projection of the implant and the base diameter all are part of the plan.

Look for plastic surgeons that have demonstrated excellence in providing natural looking results by looking at their before and after images. When you find a plastic surgeon with consistently great results, check their training, philosophy and membership with ASPS and ASAPS. Many women also wish you speak to prior surgery patients. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the correct size breast implant

+2

The most important question for women who are considering breast augmentation in Los Angeles is- What size breast impant should I choose. It is important to choose a correct size breast implant that fits your body and make you look porportionate. Some Beverly Hills plastic surgeons recommend measuring the chest, or trying out different size bags of rice in their bras. Personally, I feel that it is most useful to have my patients actually try on different size breast implants in our office. It is suprising to see that sometime a large breast implant looks very natural on a petite body. Therefore, just like cloths, before you buy it try them on; because unlike cloths you can't return your breast implants once you buy them!

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

What size breast implant will look natural on a very slim woman?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Given your description and wishes, a small implant may be the right one for you. The most important determination for the correct implant size is the width of of your breast. Choosing one that fits your breast perfectly would be the ideal one for you. Although there are a few smaller sized implants available, an evaluation and examination by a plastic surgeon of your breast characteristics, breast width, and skin/soft tissue laxity are very important in picking the right implant to meet your desires.  Consideration for the gummy bear implant is also a thought. Photographs of what you envision for yourself may be helpful during your consultation.

Consult with a surgeon who will discuss the various options, implants, incision location, implant placement, etc. Good luck and best wishes for a terrific result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Natural-looking Breast Implants

+1

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape you will require in order to get natural-looking implants without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon.  In general however for a slender woman submuscular silicone implants are preferred. The size and shape are more difficult to determine. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast Implants - What Size?

+1

HI KellyCali in West Hollywood, CA,

Natural is a funny word - if you want them to be really natural, just keep them the way they are!

Actually, the smaller the implant the more natural it will look, but what most people want is to be large enough to achieve a desired size without looking so large as to be obvious from a block away.  Even that, though, is open to a lot of interpretation, and there are geographical variations around the country.

In the end, you need to pick a size you'll be happy with.  There are, perhaps unfortunately, no guarantees that any specific size or procedure can make you look completely natural.

A good discussion with your PS is of paramount importance.  My guess is an implant in the 275-300 cc range.  You may be able to go with the larger size if you choose a high-profile implant, but that risks leaves too large a space between the breasts.  Something, again, you'll have to talk about with your PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Natural look

+1

Hello Kelly,

The smaller the implant the more likely you will have a natural look.  But be careful when you ask for natural look since this is very subjective; what might be natural to others might not be natural to you.  The best way to make sure you will get a natural look is to look at the surgeon's before/after photos and you decide if the work is natural and then find someone who looks like you and see if the same size implant will work for you.  

Andre Aboolian, MD

Which implant?

+1

Kelly, my practice is based in New York so patients choose to be a bit more conservative than those in California. It is hard to use the word "natural" in relation to choosing an implant. The appearance of your breasts at this time is "natural." I do agree with my colleagues above that the smaller the implant the more it would be suited to your frame.

John E. Sherman, MD

A medium size breast implant always looks best.

+1

A medium size breast implant always looks best. If you go too large on a small or thin frame, it will be obvious that you have implants.

I have the patient bring in a bra of the cup size she wishes to be about two weeks before the surgery, and we try on implants - bigger and bigger - until she sees what she like. We then talk about the shape of the breast and chest if that size were used.

So, I can't give you an exact size, but you probably want to stay short of 300 cc to stay natural.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Choosing THE IDEAL Breast Implant for a Thin Woman

+1

Your question is one of the commonest questions asked on this forum and while you gave a lot of measurements, none can substitute for a physical examination and a review of which results you consider "natural".

"Natural" is often substituted for "attractive" but what may be natural in Los Angeles, may be regarded us unattractive in Nashville, Memphis or the deep South.

The most attractive breast augmentation results are created by picking an implant that
- fits YOUR chest wall (and does not slip off of it and bumps into your arms)
- is covered by YOUR pectoralis muscle and current breast tissue. (All implants ripple. Choosing an implant wider than your breast means that the ripples will not be covered up and will be visible along the sides of the breasts).
- in a thin woman, I would suggest a silicone gel implant (these implants feel much more natural and ripple less (less cover needed on top of them) than saline filled implants).

The BEST way to see what would be best for you is to use 2011 technology. See a Plastic surgeon who can offer you VIRTUAL BREAST AUGMENTATION - 3D imaging of YOUR chest with any breast implant on the market. This will give you the most accurate estimate of what you may look like without having to guess by looking at hundreds of before and after photos.

We offer this service in our practice and our patients LOVE it.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD