What Can I Do About Nose and Lip Lumps from Silicone Injections?

I have lumps around my nose and lips from silicone injections. Is there no way to correct that? It is very obvious and irritating.

Chronic, persistent, and progressive

+5

Liquid silicone injections can initially work very well. But danger lurks down the road as hard lumps may form that cause redness, deformity, and possible skin breakdown. Depending on who did the injections and where the material came form, it is also common for what might have been claimed to be "medical grade" silicone to have impurities or not even be liquid silicone at all. Removal of these lumps is very difficult and can leave scars and contour irregularities. I would get yourself to a board-certified plastic surgeon to be examined.

Silicone bumps are treatable.

+3

If you're not comfortable returning to the doctor that treated you, then you must find a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in the proper micro-droplet application of Silikon-1000. Look to see many attractive before and after photos of patients with Silikon-1000 before choosing your doctor.

You may benefit from dilute triamcinolone (steroid) injections, or light electrosurgery to decrease their appearance.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance to you.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fillers: Complications you should know about Silicone Injections to the Face

+2

Silicone injectables have been used for several decades. The long term effects, including safety profile, have been widely discussed and documented in the scientific literature. In certain patients, silicone can be rejected in the body and cause an acute and even chronic inflammatory reaction characterized by swelling, redness, pain, and nodularity.

We routinely see patients with complications caused by silicone injections. We have also seen a fair amount of patients who have successfuly been treated with silicone injections in the United States and abroad. Our experience has thus been expanded with succesful treatment of countless patients with silicone injections to the face and body.

Our office has a strict policy against treatment with silicone. We are, rather, a tertiary referral center for patients with silicone complications.

In this particular case, improvement can be acheived by an aggressive protocol to ameliorate the inflammatory component of silicone injections.

Questions: spakare@yahoo.com

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD  Kare Plastic Surgery & Skin Health Clinic; Santa Monica, CA Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Permanent fillers are best avoided

+2

The use of a permanent filler has been around since the 1960's and there are problems with them. While it is tempting to use something to try and avoid repeated absorbable injections, the permanent fillers are really not safe enough in my opinion. Removal of the material generally requires surgery and scars. Other problems that are associated with permanent fillers include chronic draining infections and granulomas. These are very hard to treat until the material is gone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Visit your surgeon

+2

Lumps from silicone injections may be due to several factors. At times, you may have a local reaction to the material which may respond to steroid injections. Other times, removal of the obvious spots may be undertaken though this can be very difficult. Other times, temporary facial fillers can be used to camoflauge the silicone and create a smooth appearance to the area. As always, to determine the best course of action, visit the surgeon who performed the injections.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon