Are Silicone Injections a Safe, Effective Permanent Wrinkle Filler?

I was told that this is permanent but if done by an experienced doctor, in very small injections spaced at least 3-4 weeks apart, you can get the same results with silicone injections as the other fillers but it would be permanent. Thoughts?

Liquid Injectable Silicone is safe in the right hands

+3

I have been using liquid injectable silicone (Silikon-1000 and Adato-Sil 5000) “off-label” as a filler for several years, and my mentor and father, has been using it for over 35 years. I have read the answers from other physicians and disagree with many things said.

I believe liquid injectable silicone to be safe and incredibly effective when used appropriately, and great for natural-looking results. We use it for acne scarring, aging grooves and wrinkles on the face, hollows and grooves around the eyes, fine lines on the neck, hollows in the temple area, facial lipoatrophy, and for aging grooves on the hands.

Silicone is precise and permanent. There is no need to harvest tissue from another site on your body or to test for a possible allergy. Silicone can be used alone or in conjunction with other facial rejuvenation procedures such as Botox, laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels or facial surgery, helping to create a rejuvenated, natural-looking, smooth appearance.

There is minimal discomfort with liquid injectable silicone treatments when performed with a topical anesthetic. The number of treatments required will depend on the depth and nature of the depressions being treated and the severity of those areas. While most patients do not receive their complete level of improvement during their first visit, they do notice an immediate change just after the first treatment and are thrilled. Treatments are usually done at monthly intervals and are spread over several months. Typically, you will notice more improvement with each treatment. As you approach your desired result, treatments can be spaced at longer intervals of time between treatments. Our patients love it!

While it has not happened to me, a small "bump" or nodule can occur at the sites of injection. It is my opinion and my mentor’s opinion that these bumps or nodules are a result of either placing too much product in one treatment or injection, or by injecting the silicone too close to the surface of the skin. These are easily treated with intralesional steroid (Kenalog) injections, electrosurgery or oral antibiotics.

Silicone is an ideal filler when used correctly by physicians who have taken the time to learn how to properly use it and who respect it. We also spend a good amount of time educating our patients on silicone and on what the treatments involve, which is essential.

I hope the information I have provided is helpful and educational.

Be very cautious

+3

Permanent fillers can lead to problems 5, 10, 15 years after placement with granulomas and infection. Dr. Arnie Klein is a strong advocate against permanent fillers. See his posts please. There are very few physicians with a lot of experience with silicone and if you still think you are going to do it, please go to the ones which have years and years of experience. The technique is very different than the other fillers. You use a microdroplet technique that puts a very small amount of silicone into the injected area and you do it multiple times in the area. You then do it again at set time intervals.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Say no to free silicone injections

+2

Free silicone injections are not approved by the FDA for treatment of facial wrinkles. Scar tissue and inflammatory reaction can cause problems in the short term and changes in skin quality can cause problems in the long term.

For permanent results consider autologous fat transfers. This is a much safer, natural method for permanent wrinkle correction.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Permanent fillers: Silicone Lip and Facial Injections

+2

Please read my other articles about silicone injectables.

Silicone injectables are permanent and are theoretically inert in the body. However, they are known to directly cause severe complications that may be disfiguring to the body. The actual problem is not the silicone itself, but rather the reaction your body makes to silicone.

The best analogy would be severe rheumatoid arthritis wherein the body begins to destroy the architecture and framework of the joints of the hand and extremities. This is an uncontrolled reaction that is devastating to the patient and cannot be eradicated.

Similarly, silicone can induce a similar disfiguring and destructive process. It can be used in the body but if you are one of the unlucky patients in whom silicone is destructive, your life will be altered.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

In my opinion, you should avoid all permanent fillers...

+2

In my opinion, you should avoid all permanent fillers for all the reasons you have read. Even IF you don't have the awful problems of infection or granuloma formation, you will eventually age, your skin will thin, and the filler may rise up like an island out of the ocean. The only way to remove it then is with scars. Stick with the longer term temporary fillers!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Silicone injections are used for filling wrinkles and...

+2
Silicone injections are used for filling wrinkles and acne scarring, but it is used as a non-approved use by the Food and Drug Administration. Results can be superb, and permanent. There are cases of silicone injected by experienced surgeons where the silicone deposits created a reaction (granulomas) which formed visible large bumps. Sometimes lips have been overdone and it is very difficult to reduce, often needing surgery to remove the substance which can create a scar. Some silicone has been known to migrate to other body sites from the place in where it was inserted. Silicone is a double-edged sword. If it looks great that’s good because it’s permanent, but if it looks bad or if there is a bad reaction, it’s bad because it’s permanent. Doctors and patients have to make up their minds as to the comfort and safety level they wish to have in an elective cosmetic procedure. Bad reactions to silicone may be in the great minority of treatments, but if it happened to you, would you rather have wished that you hadn’t done it?

Ronald Shelton, MD

Silikon-1000 can be a safe, natural-looking, permanent filler

+1

Dear WRREMY,

I have been using Silikon-1000 in an "off-label" fashion to fill winkles, folds, scars, lips, and lipoatrophy for many years. My mentor taught me the proper injection technique, and he has been using liquid silicone for over 40 years without significant incident.

Since it is a permanent filler, problems can be permanent as well. I counsel my patients that several treatments are often necessary, and we space them monthly. In my hands, a small "bump" or nodule can occur at the sites of injection in 3% of cases. It is my opinion that these nodules are caused by either placing too much product, or by injecting too close to the surface of the skin. These are easily treated with steroid (Kenalog) injections, and sometimes electrosurgery with topical anesthetic.

Silikon-1000 treatments are practically painless when performed with topical anesthetic, and the results are evident immediately. In the overwhelming majority of cases I've performed, my patients absolutely love it.

I read the responses from the other docs, and I respectfully disagree. I believe Silikon-1000 to be a safe, natural-looking, permanent filler when performed by an experienced physician.

I hope this was helpful, and very best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon