Side Effects of Too Many Fraxel Restore Treatments?

From what I've read, the non-invasive Fraxel Re:store is the best solution to ease certain complications on my face.

I'm a 24 year old, Asian male who had Dermabrasion done and now have deeper atrophic scars, hypopigmented/hypertrophic scarring on my temples, cheeks, etc. texture change, and persistent erythema.

I have done two Fraxel re:stores already and I thought it was alright, maybe a modest 10-15% improvement, which may seem minute but it's still a move in the right direction.

So my question is: are there are negative effects from doing a large number of treatments? Like 6+,10+?

Keep it up!

+4

What great news that you are seeing improvement. Fraxel Restore is one of the most effective and safest treatments for acne scars, especially in ethnic skin. You will likely need 5-8, based on your history. I usually recommend you take at least a 3 month break after #5 since the full benefits of Fraxel are seen after the dermal remodelling has had time to kick in.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel Re:store for acne scars

+3

I have seen some wonderful results with Fraxel Restore for acne scarring. Some patients take a six month holiday after a series of five or six, as more collagen is continually produced after the last treatment for this period. There are other patients, whose scarring is so deep and wide that as long as their schedule and budget allow, the treatments continue while we see improvement, without any fixed maximum number of treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

No issue with multiple Fraxel dual or re:store treatments

+2

This very question came up at a recent meeting with all the best laser surgeons in the world at Mass General (Harvard). Dr. Rox Anderson, the inventor of fractional laser resurfacing said he saw no issues with multiple treatments.

He even stated that your incidence of skin cancer will be lower (not higher as some bloggers have stated) with the resurfacing.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Side effects of too many Fraxel Restore treatments?

+2

Hi Narik,

As long as your physician is using the proper settings for your skin type and condition, you can continue to have Fraxel restore treatments.  We usually continue to treat patients as long as there is noticeable improvement from the previous treatment.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel Re:store is definitely among the most effective Treatment Option

+1

Fraxel Re:store is definitely among the most effective and worry-free treatment option for the removal of
acne scars. Many times, people with darker skin tones are worried about the power of laser treatment as
compared to results on white skin. My Asian patients are often time very pleased to find how well the Fraxel
laser works for them. There’s nothing wrong with having six or more treatments, however, after the fourth or
fifth one I would recommend taking 5 or 6 months off to give your skin time to heal itself before scheduling
more work.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

You can do 5-10 treatments with the Fraxel

+1

Fraxel laser is an ideal tool to improve acne scarring.

We typically perform a series of 5 treatments then take a break of up to 3 months.

At that time, we re-evaluate and can continue for up to 5 more treatments.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon