Potential Side Effects from Removing Cartilage from the Ear for Revision Rhinoplasty?

Hello, 8 monts ago I had a revision rhinoplasty with ear cartilage. I have some questions regarding the ear: Can removing cartilage from the ear lead to ear collapse after years? My ear feels very soft where the cartilage was removed.So what happens when the ear ages? Possible to have ear reconstrustion? And what about the scar that is placed in the front side of the ear and is very visible ? What can I do?

Ear cartilage and rhinoplasty

Ear cartilage is often used for rhinoplasty grafting purposes.  It usually is taken from the conceal bowl and should not destabilize the ear.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Possible complication after ear cartilage removal

Generally speaking it should be very rare to have a change in the appearance of the ear after cartilage removal. One must take care to avoid taking too much from the vertical ridge of the conchal bowl which can lead to deprojection of the ear. Also if the incision is made right over where the cartilage is taken this could lead to a stepoff, generally you should make the incision away from where the cartilage is removed. You should talk to your surgeon.

Samson Lee, MD

1135 116th Avenue N.E.
Bellevue, WA 98004

Side Effects after Removal of Ear Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

If the cartilage was removed from the bowl of your ear for a rhinoplasty revision there will be no long term problems with the shape of your ear or a risk of ear collapse. If the scar is still visible 8 months after surgery talk to your surgeon about topical gels, laser treatment, or scar revision.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ear cartilage grafts for nose revision surgery

ear cartilage grafts for nose revision surgery:

• these are usually invisible
  • scar guard, kelocote , mederma can help
  • laser may be last resort if needed
  • softness is common
  • distortion of ear more unusual

3991 MacArthur Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Removal of ear cartilage for rhinoplasty does not usually change the appearance of the ear

Removal of ear cartilage does not usually change the appearance of the ear. Once the ear is healed, it's unusual for the removal of cartilage to change the shape as long as the cartilage at the outer part of the "bowl" of the ear is preserved. The scar is another issue. This can be visible if placed on the outside of the ear. Because of this, I always remove the cartilage with an incision on the backside of the ear where it's hidden. When this is done, it's very unusual for anyone to detect that cartilage was borrowed from the ear for rhinoplasty of reconstructive surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124