Symmastia or Not?

I’m really shocked about the answers of my first question: My Implants are under muscle, silicone 380 CC. I have read a lot about Symmastia but I’m not sure if I have this because I can touch my chest when I lightly press in the centre and I can see my cleavage if I contract a little the muscles.

I decide not to go bigger but I want to change the implants because they are PIP. Do I have symmastia or no ? is this grave or difficult to repair ? would Thongbra help after the revision ?

Symmastia?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You clearly have medial breast implant malposition ( implants too close to the midline of the sternum). True “symmastia” where the breast implant crosses the midline and communicates with the other side is quite rare. Regardless of the semantics,  correction of the implant malposition is possible with an internal suture technique (two layer capsulorrhaphy)  and reverse image capsulotomy ( opening the spaces on the sides of the breasts). Keep in mind that even after correction of the implant malposition there may still be some skin” tenting”. I routinely  recommend the use  of the symmastia (thong) bra  postoperatively.

There is definitely a “learning curve” with these types of procedures  but the success rate is quite high if you are working with a plastic surgeon well experienced with these procedures. 

You may find the link attached helpful.

The cause of your symmastia

+1
You do have symmastia.  The shape of your breast has been distorted by wearing a push up/in bra.  I can tell because the lower medial portion of your breast has stretched downwards while the lateral part of your breast is pushed inwards and your breasts look oblong in shape.  This is so common with patients that want to be big and then insist on wearing a pushup bra to further accentuate their cleavage.  The first thing all patients with new big boobs is to go to Victoria Secret.  Victoria Secret is for women who do not have big boobs and want to create the look of bigger boobs. The first thing you should do is throw away all of those pushup bras and get a symmastia prevention bra from Vernonique or a Thong Bra.  You will need to wear that bra day and night for 6 months or more and it may gradually reverse this condition.  Remember it took months if not years to create this condition so it will not go away in a month.  If that does not improve your condition you will need a breast implant revision. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia

+1
Difficult problem.  I believe that based on these photos that you do have symmastia.  This is a tough problem to deal with and I think that you need to get in touch with your surgeon or a new surgeon to deal with the problem.  Leaving it alone is not an option.

Jay Calvert, MD

Do I Have Symmastia?

+1

Thank you for this challenging question.  I am sorry you are going to need a revision of your breast augmentation.  Symmastia is a condition where the soft tissue of the breast bridge over the sternum, therefore by definition, you have symmastia.  Interestingly, when you flex your muscles, you are able to separate your breasts, but unfortunately they go back to a symmastia position once your muscles are in a relaxed position. 

There are several procedures that will assist your surgeon in bringing your two breasts to a more natural, less connected positiion on your chest, but all procedures for correction of symmastia are moderately difficult, but I would not categorize them as extremely difficult.  Therefore, if you pick a Board Certified plastic surgeon with experience in correcting malpositioned implants, your chances of success are reasonably high.  The use of a thongbra post operatively would definitely be an advantage for keeping the medial aspect of both breast pockets closed. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia

+1

Yes, it appears that you have symmastia.  It is moderately difficult to correct, but it can be done when your PIP implants are replaced.  A Thong bra would definitely help to support the repair.  Good luck!

Stanley Castor, MD

Breast Implants - Symmastia, Silicone Gel

+1

It looks like symmastia - at rest, your implants touch (ie, the skin over them touches in the midline).  That is essentially the definition of symmastia.

Correction is not impossible but it can be tricky and you, most likely, would have to agree to go with smaller implants, or at least a different profile (ie a narrower base).  In general, though, inserting smaller implants is one of the basic tenets of symmastia repair.  You may need to have some acellular dermal matrix (ADM) inserted as part of this repair.

You need to speak with a surgeon regarding this issue.  It can be fixed, but it's by no means a simple or straight-forward procedure, and you may have to compromise some of the look you have currently (ie, the size) it order to have this repaired.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Synmastia

+1

I would agree that this appears to be the diagnosis. The surgical correction can be straightforward but does rely on the quality of your body tissue and the minimum size implant you are willing to accept.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Treatment for symmastia

+1

You absolutely do have symmastia. It certainly is not 'grave' but can be somewhat difficult to treat. The pocket needs to be opened out to the side and closed next to your breast bone. Wearing the 'thong' bra can be helpful after your surgery. If you have PIP implants, you definitely should have them removed and, if they were done in the US, they should be changed by your surgeon at NO cost to you as PIP implants were never approved for use in the US. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia

+1

It sure looks like symmastia where the pockets are too close together. The pockets can be closed down a bit sometimes as well with strattice and you may be better off with smaller implants. An exam woudl be essential.