Will a severely atypical mole indicate melanoma on biopsy? I just had second incision and wait for further answers.

Would a biopsy diagnosis of a severely atypical mole indicate melanoma? They wanted to re excise again to get further margins. Wouldn't they know from first biopsy it was melanoma? Maybe this was to remove all skin to be safe. My derm said she would let me know next week. But again, cannot the first biopsy tell if melanoma or not?

Atypical moles are pre-cancerous growths

+1
Atypical moles are pre-cancerous growths so they are not melanomas. To be safe and ensure complete removal of these growths, in our office we will do an excision with suture closure to get clear margins for all moles that have moderate to severe atypia. We also follow all of our "atypical mole" patients by doing full skin examinations every six months.
You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Malouf, Will a severely atypical mole indicate melanoma on biopsy? I just had second incision and wait for further answers.

+1
Hello, If the first biopsy showed atypical nevus, it is highly unlikely, although not impossible, that the diagnosis will change.The second procedure likely represent the derms attemp to remove the lesion.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist