Is this black spot on my back serious? (photo)

Hi Doctor, I have a black mole on my back for many years. It doesn't intact or change. Just wan to know what it is. Is it a mole, a wart, or something serious? Thank you!

Dark mole on the back

+1
The fact that your mole has not changed is a good sign. However, to be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove your mole using a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.
You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole on back

+1
What the picture depicts is a possible congenital compound melanocytic nevus that shloud be evaluated by a dermatologist.

Maritza Perez, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon