Treatment Options For Severe and Persistent Acne/Allergy Breakouts in an Adult (photo)

I've always had perfect clear skin up until 4 years ago when this started. Appear on my face (mostly on the right side) and my chest. Looks very inflated. Seen over 10 doctors. Tried minocycline, erythromycin, doxycycline, benzoyl peroxide, MetroGel. None fixed it though doxycycline & erythromycin seem to be a temporary remedy but as soon as I stop taking them I am back at square one. No family history. Nothing abnormal in my blood test. Changed diet many times. Milk triggers it.

Accutane is best treatment for persistent acne

+1

The best treatment for persistent acne is Accutane.  It works by reducing oil production in the sebaceous glands which will permanently treat acne in approximately 70% of cases.  Side effects include chapped lips, dry eyes, lips and nose, muscle aches and birth defects in babies should women become pregnant while on Accutane.  The controversy surrounding Accutane is that it can cause depression which has never been proven and that it may increase the risk of inflammatory bowel disease which has not been proven to be the cause; however there has been an associated risk.  I find this to be a remarkable and life-changing treatment.

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

I would recommend Accutane

+1

For acne like this, I would recommend Accutane. You have tried pretty much every other oral medication to no avail. Your acne is persistent, cystic, and unable to be treated with anything else. Accutane will be your best solution. Do not worry about the side effects, please. There are so many terrible claims about Accutane out there but I've been prescribing it for acne like yours for nearly 30 years with tremendous, long term results and clarity. It is your best solution.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD