Recommendations Fo Severe Acne Scarring and Discoloration? (photo)

Hi, i've suffered from acne/cystic acne for a few years(17 now), although my skin is beginning to clear up i've been left with a lot of scarring on my cheeks. It makes my skin very uneven and rugged, but the worse problem is the pinkness/darkness of the scars. What kind of treatment(s) would you recommend once my skin is clear? and what kind of results could i expect?

Acne Scarring Treatments

+2

Thanks for including the picture. It is always best to evaluate skin conditions in person, but from the picture, it appears you have mostly broad-based, depressed scars.  This type of acne scar can be treated very nicely with injectable fillers. In our practice we use liquid injectable silicone which is a superb filler for acne scarring as it is permanent and precise.  You also have a few ice-pick (pitted) and box-car scars which are difficult to treat with injectable fillers alone.  They usually require resurfacing treatments such as laser treatments, light electrodessication and/or chemical peeling.  Often the discoloration improves when you fill the scars, but any persistent discoloration can be treated with topical skin brightening agents and/or chemical peeling.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne scars. Click on the link below for before and after photos of patients with acne scars treated with injectable silicone and light electrodessication. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=24

Hello

+1

The options you have for your acne scars are Laser treatment, as Profractional laser or even a mini face lift to stretch out the skin and get rid of the scars. Fillers are not long lasting results. You should look into laser. Good luck

Acnes scars that are boxcar like, depressed, and discolored

+1

You may need multiple different approaches. The first thing is to get the skin level to be about the same through whatever techinque that you do, excision, deep chemical peel, subcision. Then you follow that with co2 laser resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the best treatment for acne scars?

+1

Acne scars frequently require many different treatments in order to

achieve optimal outcomes

1. Laser resurfacing
  2. dermabrasion
  3. excision
  4. subcision
  5. fillers or fat grafting

You really need to be evaluated in person to determine the best a combination of treatments for you.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon