Will a Septorhinoplasty Change my Voice?

Pretty simple question, I know - I've tried looking it up before, but the only thing I got was 'Rhinoplasty doesn't change your voice'. What about a Septorhinoplasty though? I have a deviated septum from an accident that happened when I was in the 2nd grade. I'm 18 now.

Rhinoplasty and changing your voice

+2

Dear Spongebob,

• No, this will not change your voice
  • If you had trouble breathing through your nose, it might make your voice less nasal
  • Should be an exciting time for you to finally fix your nose after your trauma...best of luck

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Septorhinoplasty effect on voice

+1

A septorhinoplasty will not perceptibly change your voice, so no worries in that regard.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Septorhinoplasty and changing your voice

+1

Not to worry, a good rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to change the appearance of your nose and improve breathing with a septoplasty without affecting your voice. It is important to do your homework, and choose a surgeon who has a great deal of experience performing rhinoplasty surgery. Thank you, and please feel free to ask any additional questions, I would be happy to answer them for you!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Septoplasty and Voice Changes

+1

Simple answer: No.  However if your nose is VERY blocked and you have a very hyponasal voice (i.e. you always sound like you have a stuffed nose) then alleviating this blockage will change the voice.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voice change from septorhinoplasty

+1

It will not change your voice. Presumably you have had some breathing issues and it should improve those.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septrorhinoplasty will not change your voice

+1

Septorhinoplasty will not change your voice. Fixing your deviated septum with possible reduction of turbinates will help with any breathing difficulties you may have allowing better air flow. This is important to fix both the functional aspect and aesthetic aspect at the same time to avoid breathing difficulties that may appear after rhinoplasty alone. When the nose is thinned or altered if you have a deviated septum and it is not addressed you may develop breathing problems. This is why I always address both issues during the primary procedure. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD