No Skin Covering the Septum After Septoplasty

I have undergone extensive Septoplasty 10 days ago for a severely deviated septum. However, I couldn't help but notice now that the thin skin that used to cover my septum is not there anymore. I only feel what seems like plastic in my nose. Is this normal? Please help, I'm so worried. Is it ok if the skin never grows back and I just have the reinforced septum in my nose? Will this cause problems in later life?

Loss of tissue after septoplasty.

+2

What you are possibly feeling is plastic! Many surgeons, especially after a severe deviation of the septum will support the nose in the desired position for the first few days to weeks. And most often this is now done with plastic stents placed inside the nose on either side of the septum. This is likely what you have felt. Your surgeon will can tell you when you see him/her next.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Splints Are Common After Septoplasty

+1

Placing plastic splints in the nose is a common procedure after septoplasty surgery. I would certainly suggest talking with your surgeon about your concerns.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon