No Skin Covering the Septum After Septoplasty

I have undergone extensive Septoplasty 10 days ago for a severely deviated septum. However, I couldn't help but notice now that the thin skin that used to cover my septum is not there anymore. I only feel what seems like plastic in my nose. Is this normal? Please help, I'm so worried. Is it ok if the skin never grows back and I just have the reinforced septum in my nose? Will this cause problems in later life?

Loss of tissue after septoplasty.

+2

What you are possibly feeling is plastic! Many surgeons, especially after a severe deviation of the septum will support the nose in the desired position for the first few days to weeks. And most often this is now done with plastic stents placed inside the nose on either side of the septum. This is likely what you have felt. Your surgeon will can tell you when you see him/her next.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Splints Are Common After Septoplasty

+1

Placing plastic splints in the nose is a common procedure after septoplasty surgery. I would certainly suggest talking with your surgeon about your concerns.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably normal plastic splint in nose

+1

Septoplasty, deviated septum surgery, is one of the most common surgeries in the face and nose areas. A deviated septum is present in most patients, although some may not realize it.

Septoplasty is an outpatient and relatively simple procedure. Patients with severely deviated septums, revision septoplasty, prior facial trauma, prior nasal surgery or rhinoplasty, or history of cocaine use may have more complicated surgery and recovery period, as compared to a routine septoplasty.

Almost always there is enough natural internal nasal lining (skin or mucous membrane) that covers the septum. Many surgeons place a silicone sheet inside the nose to temporarily support the septum in the healing period. This splint is usually removed within 2 weeks.

Most likely you are feeling normal crust, sutures or stitches, or silicone splint. It is less likely you have an exposed septum or raw surface, even though it may feel like it. Small areas of exposed septum heal very well normally. Many surgeons ask patients to use ointments and saline nasal rinses during the healing period. Regardless, continue your postoperative instructions and you should speak to you surgeon.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon