Septoplasty One Month Ago, Would It Be Ok Now to Wear Breathe Right Nasal Strips to Help Sleep when Needed?

I had been wearing breathe right nasal strips prior to my septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery a month ago, to help me sleep. My left nostril opening is more narrow than the right and collapses in somewhat when breathing. This issue was not addressed during my surgery for deviated septum. Would it be safe to use the nasal strips now, being one month post-op, to help keep this nostril more open when sleeping?

Nasal strips

+2

It is OK to wear nasal strips at this point.  Check in with your surgeon - sometimes the obstruction is due to residual swelling, or perhaps there is still an underlying septal problem.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathe Right strips after septoplasty

+2

You should check with your surgeon, but assuming you had only a septoplasty (not rhinoplasty), then generally I would say it should be fine to use Breathe Right strips at 1 month postop.  Do you know why the collapsing nostril issue was not addressed with surgery?

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal strips to improve breathing after septoplasty surgery

+1

Ideally, one should not require breathing nasal strips after nasal surgery. However, the nose will be swollen and may contribute to congestion. Occasionally, some patients like to continue to use breathing strips soon after septoplasty surgery for a deviated septum to help alleviate congestion until the swelling resolves. Speak with your septoplasty surgeon before resuming the strips to make sure the results of the septoplasty won't be compromised. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon