Can Septoplasty Correct a Small Hump?

Hi, I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive my grammar mistakes. I've developed a septal deviation in recent years and my cartilages have also gotten bigger. As a result, there's a small hump on my nose. I generally like the shape my nose, but from some angles, it looks really bad to me. I'm thinking of having septoplasty and cartilage reduction. So, does reducing the cartilages automatically remove my hump as well? if not, what should I ask for? I don't feel ready for rino yet.

Septoplasty does not correct small hump

+1

A septoplasty is an operation that is done out of medical necessity to straighten a deviated septum. The septum can became crooked for a variety of reasons, including both trauma and congenital. By straightening a deviated septum, the septoplasty operation improves the airflow dynamics through the nose. It will not affect any change cosmetically on the nose. Any changes across the tip, bridge, and the columella are purely related to elective cosmetic surgery, which is paid for by the patient as it is considered cosmetic rhinoplasty. Any hump removal is cosmetic.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Correcting a small hump

+1

It would be necessary to perform rhinoplasty, where a hump reduction would take place. Reducing the hump is not attainable through septoplasty alone. Thank you for the question and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Small Nasal Hump Reduction with Septoplasty?

+1

Hi Malin1984 in Sweden,

Routine septoplasty for nasal obstruction generally does not alter the shape of the nose, where the internal cartilage and bone of a deviated septum is modified to widen nasal passages. However, septoplasty surgery can change the appearance of the nose, which is called septorhinoplasty or rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique. Reducing the hump from a nose is the most common request for cosmetic nasal surgery. Humps are usually made up of both cartilage and bone, and come in various sizes and shapes. Reducing small humps is a relatively easier procedure, as compared to more extensive rhinoplasty surgery. Large bumps will require bone reshaping/breaking after the hump is removed.

A goal in nasal surgery is to recreate balance of the nose with the rest of the face. A small hump may be filed or rasped without needing more surgery. A subtle change in the nose may create a profound improvement in facial balance. Occasionally, complementary surgery may be recommended along with the rhinoplasty to help improve overall facial balance, such as chin implant or augmentation.

Only after a comprehensive nasal evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/resources/nasal-repair-faq.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon