If I Have Sensitive Teeth Will Ultherapy Be Painful to my Teeth?

Ultherapy and pain during treatment - Los Angeles

+2

These are all viable concerns and our office usually places a small piece of wet gauze to avoid any potential problems.  Good luck with the Ultherapy session. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Ultherapy with Sensitive Teeth

+1
I had two patients who claimed to have sensitive teeth and I provided them with disposable mouth guards - they had no problems during or after the procedure. There is no need for nerve blocks during this procedure ! 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Ultherapy and Teeth Sensitivity

+1

The area around the mouth can be a sensitive area to treat in general.  Depending on your office/physician protocol, oral medication, nerve blocks, and topical anesthesia (for superficial level) that may be offered, there can be many options to help minimize any pain or sensitivity you may experience.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Ultherapy for facial skin lifting and tightening may be more painful with certain types of dental pain

+1

I haven't noticed more pain with Ultherapy facial skin tightening and lifting in my NYC practice on patients with gum recession or with a history of dental cold or air movement sensitivity. However, we do think that some patients who exhibit more pain reception in certain spots of the mid cheek, have more dental fillings than other patients. Sometimes we're able to make these patients more comfortable by inserting gauze between their teeth and cheek as a buffer during the Ultherapy treatment.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Let your provider know about your sensitive teeth and they can take proactive measures

+1

Having sensitive teeth should not be a problem for increased pain because the Ultherapist can place some wet gauze over your teeth between your teeth and gums.  This will minimize sensations around your gums and teeth.  The higher energy and deeper transducers are used outside of your mouth area as well.  If you are still sensitive after these measures, other measures can be taken to reposition the transducer or lower the energy.

Dan Mills, MD

Consider asking for moistened gauze pads

+1

Great question.  Most patients appreciate having a moistened gauze pad positioned between the teeth and cheek pouch and/or lips.  Irregardless of the depth of treatment, 4.5, 3.0 or 1.5mm, some individuals will appreciate some vibrational stimuli.  Padding mitigates against unpleasant zingers.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Sensitive teeth - Ultherapy should not create any sensations

+1

Ultherapy only reaches up to 4mm depth into the skin so there should have no impact on your teeth. If you are especially concerned, let your provider know you have touchy teeth and he/she can always avoid any areas you designate. 

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Ultherapy should not affect sensitive teeth

+1

The focal point of the ultrasound with Ulthera is 1.5 to 4 millimeters under the surface of the skin, so it should not be felt in the teeth.  There is however some "scatter" beyond the focal point so it is possible but unlikely.

Richard Baxter, MD