Possible to Have a Second Breast Reduction Under Local Anesthetic?

I'm from UK and wanting a second breast reduction to go down a good couple of cup sizes and to have neatening up of the aerolas done at the same time.

Is it possible to have a reduction performed under a local anaesthetic? I'm just very anxious of undergoing a general anaethetic but really want the procedure doing. In certain circumstances is this possible?

Anaesthesia for breast reduction

+2

I would not recommend local anaesthesia for breast reduction of any size. You will find the infiltration of such a large amount of local anaesthetic drug quite painful. I presume some surgeons may be happy to do it with local anaesthesia AND sedation, but you will still have to be prepared to have a general anaesthetic if the LA was not effective.

When I have patients who need a general anaesthetic, but are quite anxious about it, I request my anesthetist that they are given a pre-medication - a sedative/anxiolytic that helps them cope with the anxiety.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Although your concerns about generalized anesthesia are common,  it would be in your best interest to have the procedure performed under general anesthesia.

Your surgeon will want to ensure your comfort and safety  during the procedure;  this is best done if the  anesthesia is provided by a experienced anesthesiologist,  allows the surgeon to concentrate on his task.

Breast Reduction - Possible to Have a Second Breast Reduction Under Local Anesthetic?

+1

Hi anon9450,

You know, this sounds like a really bad idea...

I don't think it's wise to undergo this degree of surgery using local anesthesia alone.  While I've done many procedures under local (such as scar revisions and excisions of moles, etc) and routinely perform breast reductions under local anesthesia with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia, I don't think that a breast reduction under local alone is advisable.  There's just too much surgery (ie, cutting), risk of bleeding, too large an area to work on and, finally, most likely too much anxiety for you even if you could get reasonably good numbness (anesthesia!) of the surgical site.

I would not want to do or encourage that.

Sorry, but I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast reduction under local

+1

I have never performed a breast reduction under straight local, I think that it would be too uncomfortable for the patient and would not allow me to do my best work.    I have done minor scar revisions under local which is very well tolerated.

Local anesthesia and large breast reductions.

+1

If you need to be reduced "a good couple of cup sizes', local will be difficult for you and the surgeon.  Local is very effective, but at times the coverage can be spotty.  Have a talk with the Anesthesiologist.  Your fear will be alleviated.  Your safety and comfort is our greatest concern.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Breast reduction under local anesthesia

+1

It is possible to use some sedation and then anesthetize the breast with local as we do with liposuction. It has to be done careful so as not to cause cardiotoxicity with the lidocaine. You should also be prepared to use general anesthesia if the local is not working sufficiently.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD