What are Voluma XC risks or side effects?

Can any injector who does Botox competently also do Voluma? What are risks or side effects if done incorrectly?

Voluma Injections Done By Expert Injectors Only

+3
With Voluma, I recommend that you choose a very experienced injector. It is new on the market, and, while it is made out of hyaluronic acid (like Restylane or Juvederm), the cross-linking makes it much more of a "solid" liquid. This may sound weird, but if you squirt Juvederm or Restylane onto a surface, they make a puddle. If you squirt Voluma, it looks like a Hershey's Kiss.

Voluma is supposed to be very long lasting, and is meant to be placed deep (just above the bone) in the cheek area. It is a great filler, and when done correctly, looks amazing.

Most doctors that inject a lot of Botox, also inject a lot of filler, but:
Botox is not a filler. It is a protein that binds to the junction between the nerve and the muscle and causes the muscle to not respond to the nerve (so it decreases wrinkles because you can't contract the muscles in that area). Botox is always metabolized, and any unwanted outcome will go away.

The major risks of Voluma being injected incorrectly (too superficially, too much in one location, no placed just above bone) would be the development of an unwanted lump or asymmetry. You can use hyaluronidase to dissolve the Voluma, but it still might leave unwanted asymmetry or lumpiness. Again, I would definitely recommend an experienced doctor.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

+2
While Botox and Voluma are made by the same company the injections are done for different reasons and the techniques are night-and-day different. Voluma is a very safe product. The most common issues are injection site related meaning redness, bruising, swelling or a bump in the area of filler injection. These tend to resolve quickly. An experienced Voluma injector (Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist) will review all of these risks with you in advance of the injection. The upside of Voluma is that the product can be reduced or removed using Hylenex which dissolves hyaluronic acid fillers. Problems requiring filler removal are very uncommon but you have that available to you if need be. The bottom line is that Voluma, like all hyaluronic acid based products, are very safe in experienced hands but you need to find an experienced physician injector. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Side Effects

+1
Voluma is a new filler treatment, so not every Botox injector will be familiar with how to administer it properly. I would suggest seeking Voluma injections only from a board-certified dermatologist who has experience successfully treating patients with Voluma. Some patients may experience slight redness or swelling where the Voluma was injected, however the potential side effects are drastically reduced when performed by an expert Voluma injector. 

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimize Voluma Risks by Seeing Expert Injector

+1
Although it is FDA-Approved to restore lost volume, Voluma does have the risk of side effects. The most common side effects of Voluma include bruising, redness, itching, and swelling around the treatment area. Most of these side effects subside after a few days. The risk of encountering side effects greatly decreases when Voluma is administered by a board-certified dermatologist with extensive training and experience with injectable treatments. It is best to seek a doctor who is familiar with Voluma in order to achieve the most natural-looking and effective results.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Risks of Voluma

+1
Generally the same risks that apply to other hyaluronic acid fillers apply to Voluma. It is placed slightly deeper in the face than others so carries a few additional risks. 
I would suggest discussing with a Board Certified Dermatologist with expertise in Voluma.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Side Effects

+1
The most significant side effect I have seen with Voluma thus far is over-filling. Some injectors use 4 syringes of Voluma  as a standard  for adding cheek volume. There should be no standard as each person is different. Find a very experienced injector, and when in doubt, be conservative. You can always have more Voluma dded later.

The quantity is one factor that determines results, but the placement is equally important.  When looking for injectors, be sure to view multiple examples of their own work. This product can last up to two years. That's great if you love the result. But, awful, if you are displeased with the result.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Voluma versus other fillers

+1
Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler which is stiffer and holds its form better than its sister product Juvederm Ultra or UltraPlus.  It is currently FDA approved for use in the mid face, basically across the cheekbones.  It has similar risks to other hyaluronic acid fillers such as brusing, formation of lumps (either visible or palpable), and even possibly infection.  Once injected, it does not absorb as much fluid from the surrounding tissues as other fillers, and its effects are considered immediate.  The good news is that if you have a lump, it can easily be treated with an injection of hyaluronidase to break it up or dissolve it.  Massage can often help as well.

I would advise you to see how much experience or training an injector has.  A good indicator of how well someone injects is how many syringes they usually need to achieve a desired effect.  Although some initial studies showed multiple syringes in a patient, I would not expect the need for over 4 syringes in one sitting (perhaps over a few months yes, but not all at once).  IMHO, I believe skilled injectors can achieve similar results with less material than those less proficient.

I definitely do NOT believe that anyone who can inject Botox competently can inject voluma or any of the fillers just as well.  They require more skill, as well as the visual eye to determine the best place to inject it.

Hope that helps and good luck to you!

Roxanne Sylora, MD

What are Voluma XC risks or side effects

+1
thank you for your question. Injectable fillers can be used to enhance facial volume, correct lines and depressions, and rejuvenate the face without surgery. Some common fillers used in our San Diego practice include restylane, juvederm, perlane, voluma, radiesse, and sculptra. Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon injector to review your options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma Risks

+1
Juvederm Voluma is very safe product made from hyaluronic acid (like Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane).  While the composition is similar, the product has different characteristics and, therefore, is injected differently.  

The most common side effects are redness, bruising or swelling at the site of injection.  Other extremely rare risks include vascular compromise related to intra-vascular injection.  

You should seek out an experienced injector that is either a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They should be able to explain the risks and tell you what they do to avoid them.  

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
East Alabama Plastic Surgery
Auburn, AL

Ralph Trey Aquadro, MD
Auburn Plastic Surgeon