Does Voluma last longer than Radiesse and can it be used in tear troughs?

I've been using Radiesse in upper cheeks and temples because it has the added benefit of stimulating collagen growth. I was wondering if Voluma would be a good alternative and last longer? I usually need a syringe of Radiesse every six months (I tend to metabolize it fast). It gets expensive. Also, would Voluma work for tear troughs?

Duration of Voluma and use for tear troughs

+1
My experience is that both Voluma and Radiesse are longer lasting fillers, and both last more than 1 year, and in some people up to 2 years. It is important to choose the right filler for the right location, its not all about duration. For the tear trough, I prefer restylane or restylane fine lines (which typically last more than 1 year in the tear trough), and would not use Voluma or Radiesse in that location.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma or Radiesse to tear troughs

+1
Actually, neither Voluma or Radiesse should be used in the tear troughs. My assumption is that you are actually getting your injections into the upper cheeks, rather than the tear troughs themselves, which is a better solution, and both Radiesse and Voluma can be injected here. In my opinion, Voluma is preferable here because the filler is softer and looks more natural. It can last for up to 2 years when appropriate amounts are used. While it's stated that Radiesse stimulates collagen production, the amount is negligible really, so I am not thrilled when that's used as a selling point. All injections technically stimulate some collagen because any trauma or change to the skin does this. It would be best for you to discuss which option is best for you with your injector. I doubt you will find Voluma costs less than Radiesse, but since it may last longer, this could give you some savings overall.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Voluma for facial augmentation

+1
Voluma is the newest option from the Juvederm family of hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers.  Voluma is approved for midfacial and cheek augmentation.  Studies have shown the Voluma can last up to 24 months, making it an excellent option for long term facial volume augmentation.  If you are looking for long term solutions, facial fat grafting is also an excellent option.  I would not suggest Voluma as a filler in the tear trough.  The tear trough area is a very delicate, and Voluma is too viscous of a filler.  Filling the tear trough with Voluma would lead to probable irregularities.  I would suggest Restylane in the tear troughs.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheeks and tear troughs

+1
Thank you for your question.  Voluma is new to our injectable choices, but is a great option for volume enhancement of the cheeks and midface.  It can be used in the temple, but this is an off label use.  Studies suggest at least two years of longevity for Voluma vs 12-18 months for Radiesse.  Voluma is more expensive than Radiesse, however  I would not recommend injecting Voluma directly into the tear trough area.  Another option is Sculptra.  All of these long lasting fillers have their advantages and disadvantages.  Ask your board certified plastic surgeon to recommend what is best for you.  Good luck.

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Does #Voluma last longer than #Radiesse and can it be used in tear troughs?

+1
The studies of Voluma actually show the majority of patients whose cheeks are fully corrected still seeing benefit beyond two years. In practice, cheek injections with Voluma also tend to improve the tear trough area and nasolabial folds through it's lifting effect. However, Voluma should NOT be injected directly into the tear trough or nasolabial folds. In many cases, additional treatment of these areas is not necessary but hollow tear troughs or deep nasolabial folds remain after Voluma treatment they should be filled with a different filler meant for those areas. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon