Sclerotherapy Needles for Varicose Veins?

How long is the needle used for sclerotherapy treatments? Is the needle flexible? Is it a needle with flexible tubing?

Sclerotherapy

+1

We typically use a 32 g 1/2 inch needle for sclerotherapy treatment.  The procedure is very tolerable.  

Several types.

+1

I use 31 and 33 g 1/2 inch needles routinely  for sclerotherapy.  The 33 g is slightly more flexible than the 31 g. Occasionally I may use a 30 g 1/2 inch needle for slightly larger veins.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy uses tiny needles

+1

We use 32G (smaller than 30G) in addition to 30G needles which are half inch but also only penetrate the skin a few millimeters.  They are not flexible.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair thin needles used for sclerotherapy of leg spider veins

+1

When treating small spider veins on the leg a short half-inch needle is used.  The diameter is 30 gauge, meaning hair thin.  It only penetrates into the spider vein for less than a 1/4 inch.  The solution is then injected and treats an area the size of a quarter.  It should be a relatively painless treatment since the needle is so tiny.  When new solutions such as Asclera(TM) are used there is no stinging of the solution.  This method can be used on any visible vein on the leg.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Needle for sclero

+1

we use a 1/2 inch 30 gauge needle as everyone else does. we also use a butterfly needle with flexible tubing for larger veins.  this works very well with excellent results and minimal staining.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Needle Used for Sclerotherapy (Leg Vein Injections)

+1

Typically we use an inflexible, 1/2 inch, 30 gauge needle for sclerotherapy (leg vein) treatments.  I also bend the needle slightly before injecting. The patient experiences minimal discomfort and we can achieve great results. Hope this helps!

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Needle for sclerotherapy

+1

Usually, a 1/2 inch, inflexible, 30 gauge needle is used to acheive great results with the least amount discomfort.  That is my personal preference, as well.   I have colleagues that occasionally use a butterfly needle with flexible tubing when injecting larger veins, which works very well.  It all depends on what the physician prefers.   

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

I agree with Dr. Mitchell Schwartz. I use the same needle and technique which works well

+1

A 1/2 inch, 30 gauge needle work extremely well for 90% of the sclerotherapy that I do.  Some of the very small veins are treated with an ultrafine 32 gauge need and a lesser concentrated sclerosant solution. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Which needles are used for sclerotherapy

+1

I use a very small 30 guage one half inch needle for sclerotherapy. It is a rigid needle that I bend at a slight angle before the injection procedure. There is no plastic tubing. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon